I have sky glass 2 pucks and tado. My internet is provided by Three. My tv freezes all the time. ?

Options
Can somebody help from Tado

Best Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Assuming it’s mobile broadband it might be a speed issue but if you want to contact Tado you can do so here https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3590239-how-can-i-contact-tado-customer-support
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Far too many variables as to why your sky tv freezes. Most likely an internet related issue, not Tado. First suspect is the wifi, check for signal strength and co-channel interference.
  • davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Did this start when Tado was installed?

There have been issues reported here where the Tado bridge causes performance problems on the home network as it runs at 10 Mbps half-duplex and depending on the ISP router, it can be dragged down to the lowest speed which may be causing the TV issues.

Could be worth looking at the router settings to see if it gives any options to prioritise the TV or set network port speeds manually

You could also try adding a small switch between the router and bridge so that the router switch port is still running at full speed. There was another post recently where the bridge wasn't working with a Virgin router and there was link to a suggested switch in the comments

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You'd lose a lot of functionality without the bridge.

Sounds more like it's your internet provider that has the issue rather than Tado being the cause. Do you have the option to change to a more reliable provider or are you tied into a contract? TBH, with it dropping down that low, I'd be looking to get out of any contract

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not much experience with the Tado dongle, SKY glass and Three mobile broadband hubs ... looking at the Three broadband pages (and 30 years in business telecoms/networks) they are offering their 4G or 5G mobile network. In principle ... 5G will be blindingly fast and cope with huge data rates. AFAIK ... the Three hub is 4G enabled (not 5G), which (from all mobile operators) can sometimes be 'patchy'. 4G LTE should should give you 20-40 mbps D/L and 5-10 mbps U/L. That's no different to typical BT/Openreach FTTC line speeds that SKY resell, although a G.Fast or FTTP line will be much faster. If you're getting 30-180 mbps, the upper end appears to be pretty good? Maybe falling back to 4G LTE on the lower end? If you are getting one mbps, that's dire for a broadband service.

I think you're on the bleeding edge of this one, with an awful lot of 'maybes' to look into. Maybe the Tado dongle is negotiating the hub line speeds down? Maybe an ethernet switch in-between the Tado dongle and Three 4G hub would eliminate auto-negotiation of broadband line speed? Maybe you're on the edge of the Three cell? Maybe an over-loaded cell? Maybe Three have PIM or backhaul problems on the cell? Maybe they are faffing around with the 5G roll-out? Maybe co-channel wifi interference from neighbours ... which can be very intermittent and very hard to figure out a reliable fix? Maybe ... ? ?

Assuming you're not in an alt-net area ... I'd be more than tempted to look at the BT/Openreach web page https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker/my-products with your postcode/address for the available options and switch to a provider that includes a fixed line as well as mobile, if you can.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Fwiw I’ve had to rely on Vodafone mobile broadband for the last nine months due to openreach’s incompetence and it’s been pretty awful. I’m in an area with a fairly weak 4g signal and on a good day was getting speeds of 20-30mbps. Even then there are still drop outs. On a bad day it wouldn’t connect at all. I think it’s an issue with mobile broadband. Weirdly my phone is on ID mobile (three network) and gets speeds of up to 70mbps on 4g in the same room. Glad that openreach have finally managed to install a fibre optic line. Only took them most of a year.

Answers

• Keri
    Options
    Thank you all. I had tado many years before sky glass. The sky glass needs between 25-35 mbps
    The internet can drop down to about 3mbps in my area and go up to 180mbps
    I’m just wondering if I can revert back to just a thermostat on the wall or can I use the tado thermostat without the internet bridge
  • Keri
    Options
    Yes. I went from Sky to Three. Sky could only provide 32 mbps. Three has given from 80-180. it’s the dropping down to less than one is the problem. I found today three are working in my area to improve things but I can’t understand the lows
  • Keri
    Options
    Thank you wateroakley
  • Keri
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help