Best way to use tado

Options
So I have a combi boiler and the wireless thermostat.
So I have friends who have the spin thermostat on the wall the spin to desired temperature turns off when there is this also what is happing when I put the heating up to 20* on the app once it gets there it’s off? What if the room is already showing its 20*? But I want the heating to be at 20*?

On scheduling is it now best to leave on all day at day 20’or is it to let to cool then turn it back on?

I’d normally do a 5am-7am 23* then depending if we’re home turn it in through out the day then a 4-8 22* but unsure on the best way to use it.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Don’t really understand the first paragraph. As for the rest, I found in my house it works well to set a comfort temperature in relatively long time blocks, without drastic variations, so for example 16c in the living room during the day then 18 during the evening, then 17 for a couple of hours after midnight then 14 overnight.

I don’t see the point of setting a very high temperature in the morning unless you have some specific need for it. Sounds like what someone might do with no thermostat control where you crank the boiler up in the morning then turn it off and use the residual heat. On a modern system better to set it to the temperature you want, when you want.
  • wateroakley
    Options

The answer is 'it depends'. If you live in a 17C stonebuilt manor house that is thermally inefficient you will probably need a continuous background heat, such as an aga or ancient cast-iron boiler? Modern well-insulated houses with an efficient boiler and sensibly-sized heating system have a smaller thermal capacity, a faster recovery rate (time to heat up the rooms) and in our experience can be heated as needed.

We heat the rooms in our 1960s house (with average insulation) for the times according their use. E.g. bedrooms for an hour early in the morning and a couple of hours late in the evening. They are are 'off' during the day and night. We heat the west wing during the day and the east wing in the evening. Hot water is timed to suit our diaries. We keep the doors to unoccupied rooms (mostly) closed and everything is 'off' when the room is not in use. At our rellie's Edwardian Villa, they do the same, except they keep the young children's rooms heated (18-20 deg C) overnight.

The graph below is our heating and HW energy consumption from October 2021, percentage kWh at the same outside temperature (CET). We've not added any significant insulation features during this period. It's down to attention to the room schedules, temperatures, and geo-fencing when we are out. The blue line is from our daily manual intervention on the old programmer and room stat - a lot of effort to save 10-15%. Annualised consumption with the smart controls has plateau'd around 55%.