Honeywell hot water and heating programmer

Options
Hi all,

I've recently got tado myself and now my inlaws what it themselves. They currently have Worcester boiler and a hot water tank. It had a honeywell thermostat in hallway and a honeywell water and heating programmer by the hot water tank. Am I right in thinking I'd just replace the stat in hallway with a wired smart stat and leave the programmer by the tank alone? (Set heating to always on)

Answers

• I have photos of the products they have currently but I don't see how to upload images on here?
  • Photos of the honeywell programmer and stat

• After doing lots of reading it appears you can replace the Honeywell programmer with a wireless receiver to control the hot water also? But if the thermostat in hallway is wired I would need to bridge the connections and change it for a wireless thermostat as you don't wire a tado smart stat to a wireless receiver. Is that correct?

• davidlyall
    Options
    Yes, if you want tado hot water control then the programmer can be replaced with a wireless receiver.

Also, you are correct that the connections on the hall thermostat can be bridged as the tado thermostat won't be doing the switching of the heating

Just one comment on their current setup. They'd save quite a bit of gas by only running the HW one or twice a day. When I moved to my current house, I had the HW on permanently but soon realised it was topping up the hot water several times a day which was unnecessary
  • Thanks for the reply. So they'd need a wireless thermostat starter kit then? And then bridge connections on the older ones. Haha I've tried telling them this. They only need to heat water twice a day. They don't listen lol
  • davidlyall
    Options

Yes, wireless starter kit will do the job. They can add radiator thermostats later if they want

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

@adamfezza88 Good luck with telling! Yours is the same as our old Honeywell controls. Yes, you can replace the Honeywell programmer with a Tado wireless kit. Tado will give you instructions to bridge the room stat wiring. The wireless kit will also work with the HW tank. You keep the HW tank thermostat. You’ll probably get a better energy savings result if you add Tado TRVs.

If they want real data, our very close control of every room and HW timing with Tado has achieved 40% annual savings. ROI was less than 9 months. For comparison, daily manual intervention with the Honeywell programmer and trvs achieved 10%-15%.

• I got the same Honeywell programmer and replaced it with tado wireless kit, I don't know is the installation is deferent from unvented system and gravity fed, because by mistake I told them I got a gravity fed system and I done the installation for that and the drive that they installed it