Boiler on constantly

Options

Hi, newby here so be kind.

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Ri system boiler. I have installed the wireless thermostat and programmer but have an issue with the boiler being on constantly.

I see from previous discussions that this is not an isolated incident but my issue appears to be related to the old room thermostat.

The old hardware is a Lifestyle (Drayton?) thermostat and Danfoss FP715si programmer.

If I isolate the old room thermostat wires as instructed - N, L+SL(?) - the boiler is on constantly. If I isolate all three wires separately, this does not happen but the boiler does not function when Tado requests heating (hot water functions OK).

I have checked the valves and these seem to be operating correctly.

Any ideas of possible solutions for me to try?

Thanks

Ray

Comments

• davidlyall
    Options
    OK, so couple of questions.

Are you absolutely sure the wiring is correct at the wireless receiver? Bridging L and switched L is a common method of removing a wired thermostat. Do you hear it feel a relay switching on the receiver when you turn the set temp up or down?

Is the wireless receiver set up as the zone controller for the wireless thermostat? I'm not 100% but if it isn't set up that way then the relay is probably closed resulting in the heating circuit being permanently
    energised
  • Rsmith95UK
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi Davidlyall, thanks for the reply,

the wireless receiver is wired as per instructions and the CH LED lights up when I request it from the App. However, I do not hear any relays switching when I set the temp (I assume that this would operate regardless that I have the 'old' thermostat wiring isolated individually at the moment).

The Wireless receiver is set up as the zone controller - do you think it may be worth changing to 'Independant'?

• Rsmith95UK
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hi,

for anyone with the same problem, I've (hopefully) found the issue and solution at https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/12766/heating-ch-no-terminal-is-constantly-on

Its certainly cured the boiler constantly on scenario. Yet to see if the heating now works given the temps today!

• davidlyall
    Options

So, your wiring sounds like it's correct but if you're not hearing relays clicking on the wireless receiver when the CH light comes on, then it sounds like the relay may be stuck. Do you hear the HW relay click when you turn that on/off?

I did have it happen a couple of times that the relay in my extension kit (predecessor of wireless receiver) would appear to stick and turning off the power for 10 seconds resolved it. Mine hasn't done it for a long time so I'm not sure if it was a firmware issue resolved by an update

If you have a multimeter, you could check for continuity between the CH terminals (with power removed) which would confirm that the relay is closed

It's also worth contacting Tado support as it may be a configuration issue causing the behaviour