Opinions on potential range issues

Options

Hi all, I have been viewing all the discussions on range issues but this is my first post. I am due to move house next month and in preparation I bought the V3 wireless thermostat starter kit plus 7 TRVs in the Amazon Prime sale.

I will not have opportunity to physically test the system until after the Amazon product return date expires, and so I am trying to gauge the chances of me running into range and connection issues.

I've attached the floorplan of the new property, Boiler is red and hub location is blue. Majority or rads are located under a window. Any thoughts appreciated! I think my only alternative would be to buy a Hive system instead and hope the wifi signal would be stronger than the Tado wireless, but they don't seem to get good review either.

Best Answer

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@pauld888 mostly, no problems. Just one rad of 14 is too far, the conservatory. That rad is 6 metre outside your house footprint, with three block and brick walls in-between the internet dongle. We kept the manual trv on the conservatory rad. Turned down to frost * has worked well for us since Feb 22.

The boiler is in the garage cupboard, far side from the house, behind a brick/plaster wall and shelving with diy building materials stored. I extended the wiring for the old Honeywell ch/hw timer controls onto the house side of the garage and fitted the Tado wireless receiver there.

The two first floor landing rads occasionally went off line. I changed the measuring device to the nearer rad. No problem since. Most likely down to the Tado TRV.

if you are thinking of using a 802.x Wi-Fi enabled, or power-line Ethernet system … I’ve had far far more issues with Wi-Fi co-channel interference than the Tado wireless system. Our Power-line connections for network extenders go off-line when we use the microwave oven.

HTH.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You shouldn’t do on a house that size but it’s a question of trial and error really. What material is the house made of?
  • wateroakley
    Options
    Your new home is somewhat similar layout to ours, and narrower by about 3m. We have the internet dongle at one end of the house.
    Lots of variables: like walls, house materials and location of devices. A central location for the dongle is a good start. Assuming a modern build with brick breeze panel and plasterboard, IMO there’s nothing to feel overly concerned.
  • davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Options

If it's a timber framed house, you'll likely be OK for the rads and smart thermostrat but the boiler location means the signal has to pass through two exterior walls to reach it so it may have problems.

Is the current timeswitch located with the boiler or in the kitchen on the wall nearest the boiler? If it's with the boiler, you may need to experiment with the bridge location

• pauld888
    pauld888
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thanks all - it’s a 1995 build, so fairly modern with brick and plasterboard. I am most concerned about the boiler and controls being in the garage and the external walls that the signal needs to get through. The boilers controls I think are next to the boiler.

has anyone tried Hive or similar and would a wifi based system be better as I can then extend using boosters?

• pauld888
    Options

Interesting if you have a similar layout, can I ask if you have had issues with signal range and did you overcome them?