Adding hot water and flow control to a Glow Worm Ultracom 18hxi

Options

Hi,

I currently have a wired v1 Thermostat (RUxxx firmware 54.20) in the hall connected to my Glow Worm Ultracom 18hxi boiler (roughly 10 years old) and a Potterton EP2 controller next to the boiler. The bridge I have is one of the original larger ones and is not recognised by the Tado Pro app so I cant seemingly use that to check/change any settings.

On the controller the heating is set to be on 24h as demand is controlled by the Tado stat and the hot water is on a program via the EP2 for 1h a day.

What I would like to achieve is to control the hot water via Tado but also have weather compensation/flow control to add more efficiency as the boiler is eBus equipped (although not currently wired up).

From looking online I need to buy one of the original EK01 extension kits to achieve both of these things.

Looking on ebay there are a few that I have seen but they have different model types:

Example 1: V3P-EK01-TC-ML-01

Example 2: UKEK01-TX-02 Thermostat Receiver Extension Kit (DBU01-TA-02)

So, the questions :)

1. Will either of the above models regulate the flow temperature (a google suggests they will)?
  2. To get the flow control working I will have to remove the EP2 and wire in the Tado EK in a similar fashion to swapping out the room stat.
  3. I believe I will need to run an additional cable from the EK to the boiler and connect the eBus +/- on the EK to the eBus +/- on the boiler board to enable flow control?
  4. On the wired stat I will need to go in to the installer menu and change the hot water control to on?

Have I got the above right or am I missing some steps? Does anyone with flow control notice a difference in how long it takes to heat the house up or is there no difference and it just uses less gas as its being more efficient?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help :)

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Tado doesn’t really do weather compensation though it allegedly takes local weather conditions into account. If you want to use a modulating connection check that Tado supports it with your boiler, then you’ll need either an extension kit or an eu wireless receiver. I don’t know if they work with v1 equipment so you may need to upgrade that too.
  • KTF
    Options

I hadn't thought about it not working with v1 equipment but I would have thought that the original EK01 programmer replacement would be compatible?

After speaking to Glow Worm, another option I have is to use their smart wiring centre and MiGo Room Stat to achieve the same result then its all the same brand. The cost of the programmer replacement is similar to the Tado one and some of the replacement stat cost could be covered by selling the existing Tado one.

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

You can’t do digital control and hot water with any Tado equipment, sadly.

• GrayDav4276
    Options

It's my personal opinion that the current generation of (most) boiler manufacturers have greatly improved their own brand controllers and thermostats over the last few years........and most boilers are now significantly better than the current generation of Tado devices......and Tado have made virtually no improvements to their devices/system. So.....@KTF if you feel that your boiler manufacturer can supply exactly what you need.......you have the answer already.

• KTF
    Options

Just to clarify, I checked my past orders and I actually have a v2 wired stat rather than a v1.