Can I replace Honeywell BDR91 receiver with a Tado wired thermostat?

Options

Hello,

I purchased the Tado V3+ wired thermostat with the hope I could use it as replacement of my Honeywell BRD91 receiver which simply turns the heating on and off.

Below the current setup of the BRD91 and how I tried to connect the Tado wired thermostat with no luck.

What did I do wrong?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I don’t see why this wouldn’t work except that the bdr91 isn’t a thermostat so you’re not doing a like for like replacement. I replaced mine with a Tado extension kit (now known as wireless receiver) which worked fine. I’m assuming you have a combi boiler which the bdr 91 was wired into?
  • Fedepi
    Fedepi
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi @johnnyp78, thanks for your reply. That's right, for my combi boiler I currently use a Honeywell CMS927 wireless thermostat connected to the BRD91 receiver. Should I then buy the Tado wireless receiver to recreate the same setup I have now by converting the wired Tado thermostat into a wireless one?

• Montage
    Options

I have strong doubts that it's an SL system, due to the spindly wires.

I'd suggest looking at the type of boiler and configuring your Tado for wiring appropriate for the boiler type.

• Fedepi
    Options

Thanks @Montage, the boiler I have is this one: AWB ThermoMaster 2HR (28.02 WT). Do you think I can still use the Tado wired without receiver?

• Montage
    Options

Yes, I do. I haven’t read the document but can see the where it originates. Boilers in NL usually have to work with OpenTherm, so you should probably connect for that. All of which is fine on the wired Tado. Burn less gas, not more money and skip wireless.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I don’t want to confuse things but the bdr91 is a relay system (in the uk) at least. But as @Montage says, if you can connect via Opentherm, do that.
  • Montage
    Options

I believe it is. How it is connected at the boiler will be interesting.

The thing with OpenTherm is that the standard is backward compatible. Meaning if you short the pair of wires, the boiler will fire.

• Fedepi
    Options

Thanks both for your comments.

Assuming I can connect via OpenTherm, how should I then connect the spindly wires?

BRD91 "A" --> TADO "-"

BRD91 "B" --> TADO "+"

Would this work or will I fire the boiler? :)

• Montage
    Options

You should verify they are connected ok at the boiler (for OpenTherm).

Then attach to + and - and it doesn’t matter which way round. (No polarity)

• johnnyp78
    Options
    As @montage said, look for the Opentherm connections on the boiler. Sometimes they’re in an orange block.
  • Fedepi
    Options

I attached the spindly wires to + and - and the heating turns on. The problem is that I can't switch it off with the app nor with the Tado itself as it looks like it's always on. Would the use of a wireless receiver solve this issue? I guess it would work as my current Honeywell wireless thermostat which simply switches on/off the power of the BDR91.

• Montage
    Options

No, you need to fix the problem, not buy more stuff.

Have you configured the Tado for OpenTherm?

• Fedepi
    Options

Ok I'll try, thanks!

Yes, I followed the steps on pages 8-11 from the attached manual but the Tado doesn't make any on/off sounds when D01 is selected (page 10).

• Montage
    Options

It ought to be silent for OpenTherm or any digital mode.

• Fedepi
    Options

This is how the wiring connection to the boiler looks like.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I think you need to be looking on the other side of that metal sheet.
  • Fedepi
    Options

Yes better to do it tomorrow with the sunlight, thanks.

• Fedepi
    Options

This is the inside of thw boiler. Do you know whether the Tado config. code I selected (D01) is the right one?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I am completely baffled by this. Where’s the pcb? Does it even have one?
  • Fedepi
    Options

This one maybe? Just guessing.

• Montage
    Options

I assume this means red/white and blue/white wires for OpenTherm. They might be in the room stat block at moment

• Fedepi
    Options

It's a bit too advanced for me, but thanks a lot to both of you for the effort. I thought I could simply replace the BDR91 and the only wireless thermostat connected to it. I'll probably have to contact a technician :/

• johnnyp78
    Options
    It usually is a fairly simple job on uk boilers, where the opentherm connections are clearly marked on the pcb. If I had a boiler that looked like that I’d be asking a professional for help too