Connections

Options
Can anyone tell me if the wireless receiver connection HW NO should only have 240v when there is demand from the software??
Tech support won't answer this simple question...

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m going to defer to more knowledgeable people such as @GrilledCheese2 and @Montage here, but my understanding of a switched live relay is that there isn’t a permanent current.
  • GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

I don't know the definitive answer, but I would expect HW NO to only be 240V when the software is controlling the relay. The relay can be heard switching, which leads me to believe it is electromechanical and not solid state. When the coil of an electromechanical relay is not energised a circuit will be created between COM and NC - leaving the NO terminal with no voltage. However, NC is likely to be at 240V when the software is not running.

• Montage
    Options

I agree with all the above, if we are talking about the Tado unit in isolation.

However, once the unit has connections to the COM and NC, that's another matter. You can have working systems wired where the NO is live and the COM is not. It's not ideal, but it's just a switch ultimately.

I'm not a fan of blindly looping the L onto the COM, but I can see it avoids the situation I just described. Albeit bringing some new risks to the party.