My Boiler would not start but Hot Water Works

Options

Hi, and I hope someone can help me plz. I included my prev hardware details and boiler details.

1. Main Combi Eco Elite 30 (Combi Boiler)
  2. Siemens RAA20 wired thermostat
  3. Siemens RWB27 timerswitch/programmer
  4. Bought Tado Starter Kit V3+ w/less thermostat

Tado installation finds all the devices. I started by replacing RWB27. I labelled the cables as per Tado Instructions and then installed them on the receiver. I had two Grey cables on the RWB27 connected to the N terminal and Tado said if more than 1 cable connected to one terminal then label them together and connect them together.

1.RWB27 Terminal (I did not mix the 2 brown cables as labelled them one by one)

N= 2 X Grey cables

L= 1 X Brown cable

L+2= connected via a loop cable

4= another Brown cable

2.Tado w/less thermostat (just paired with the bridge and works

3.Tado w/less receiver

N= 2 X Grey cables

L= 1 X Brown cable

L+CH COM= Connected via loop

CH NO= another brown cable

So I followed the instructions, connected everything as it suppose to be and all devices connected. Selected Combi on the receiver and did the test. All worked and used the App to turn the heating on to make sure it turns on. My dreams just shattered as the App said on and I could hear the receiver clicked and the symbol for heating came on but no heating. Waited about 10 minutes went to the boiler and it was not on. I then just turn the tap on and BINGO hot water was fine and boiler working. The only difference I noticed that

1.Siemens RAA20 Thermostat have

L= Brown cable

Y1= Black cable

Y2= Empty

As per the instructions I put the two cables separately to the blocks provided. That's the only thing which is missing from the setup as these cables are not connected to each other and in separate blocks. The Tado instructions says for Neutral and Earth, insert only one wire per block (I did that). It also says put the LIVE COM and Switched Live (no) on the same block (I have no idea what the above cables are in L and Y1 terminal so decided to use separate blocks.

(Update) Just checked on the Siemens RAA20 for cable info and it says.

L= Switching Voltage AC24....250V

Y1= Control Output Heating AC24....250V

I hope I have explained in full details and apologise for the long post but I am sure I would have been asked to add that info so tried to include everything. I have a feeling that its got to be with the L and Y1 Cables but not sure.

PLZ HELP.

Comments

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

The wires on your thermostat are the incoming (mains level) live and the switched live to get the boiler to fire.

I expect your thermostat is fed from the timer wiring and I'd prefer to disconnect them there, but you need to understand what they do.

If you've done everything else ok then L to Y1 will fire the boiler. If it goes bang, something is wrong. If it fires day and night, something is wrong.