Multi zone heating with water tank installation help

Options

Hi

I'm a little stuck attempting to install my Tado equipment - I think because my setup is a little more complex than most houses, though not uncommon I don't think...

Our current setup:

• 1 x Vaillant boiler
  • 1 x Hot water tank
  • 2 x Salus RT500RF wireless thermostat + receiver
  • 1 x Salus EP200

The house is split into two heating zones - upstairs and downstairs. Each of the RT500RFs is controlling a zone.

The EP200 controls the hot water tank.

(I've popped photos of the current setup at the bottom of my post.)

Here's the Tado kit I have purchased

• Internet bridge
  • Wireless Receiver (Programmer)
  • Smart Thermostat
  • 2 x Wireless Temperature sensors

After a chat with Tado support + my own research, my plan is/was:

1. Replace 1 of the RT500RFs and the EP200 with the Wireless Receiver which will control the upstairs heating zone + hot water tank
  2. Replace the other RT500RF with the wired Smart Thermostat

The 2 Wireless Temperature Sensors would go in the 2 zones, and according to Tado support I can disable/ignore the temperature sensor on the wired Smart Thermostat (as that's not in an area of the house we care about heating).

I'm confident I can wire all this up myself, but I can't even get into the instructions as the app claims I can't replace my existing hardware with the equipment I've purchased. I hope it's wrong...

Any help would be really useful!

Thanks!

------

Photos

Boiler

2 x RT500RF receivers + 1 x EP200

RT500RF wireless thermostat

Hot water tank

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    It doesn’t sound like there wouldn’t be any reason why that wouldn’t work. What exactly is the app saying? Sometimes you can persuade it if you select a different model.

Otherwise, generic instructions for wireless receiver and wired thermostat are here https://www.tado.com/gb-en/professional-manuals

Once it’s set up, put the wireless temp sensor in the same virtual room as the wired smart thermostat and set it as the measuring device (they don’t need to be in the same physical room). The wireless receiver should be one zone controller, the wired smart thermo should be the other.