Heated towel rail

Options

I have an oil fired combi boiler and five radiators. All 5 radiators have tado thermostats. There is additionally a wireless Tado smart thermostat in the living room (connected wirelessly to the wired extension kit.

They are all working as they should, bar some hiccups with one of the radiator thermostats.

But we also have a dual fuel bathroom radiator/ towel rail. It does not have a tado thermostat connected. I thought that it would go cold when none of the radiators were hot, but my husband says that it remains hot all night. Is he right? And if so, what can I do about it?

Answers

• davidlyall
    Options

Hi

What do you mean by "dual fuel" bathroom radiator? If it's electric plus plumbed into your heating, is the electric element switch on all the time?

I know this is possible as I looked into it when I was updating bathrooms but ultimately decided to plumb our towel rads into the HW circuit

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

The towel rail will get hot whenever the boiler is on. If you have not scheduled any of the Tado controlled radiators to heat up during the night, then the towel rail should remain cold. Are you sure the electric element is not heating the towel rail. The electric element should only be used during the summer months.

• Janel
    Options

The electric element is turned off during the winter.

I think that what is happening is due to the weather and the type of boiler we have got.

It was very cold last night. We have an external oil fired boiler. In very cold weather it turns itself on intermittently to stop the oil thickening in the cold. I guess that is enough to get the towel rail hot, though I find it surprising.

Thanks for your comments.

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

Most boilers will have a frost protection mode where they automatically ignite when the temperature drops below 5°C. With the current temperatures it's quite normal for boilers located outdoors or in lofts to periodically ignite and circulate some hot water.