Thermostat differential.

Options

I've had the starter kit v3 for some months which all works fine except the room thermostat differential varies wildly and can be as little as 0.1 degree or even 0 degrees. The wireless receiver is in the kitchen so I can see it going on and off. Anyone else had this issue as it seems to be wasting a load of gas heating the water up to no effect at times.

Comments

• RogerP1952
    edited January 2023
    Options

The heating turns on , the boiler runs for 4 minutes or so then it turns off again, that's the wireless receiver, not the boiler cycling, the radiators have only just started to feel slightly warm, not enough to affect the room temperature. This afternoon I was watching it, the temperature was set to 17.5 degrees and the heating was turning on at 17.3, sometimes 17.4 and turning off again before the indicated temperature had risen, once it turned on at 17.4 and then off after 4 minutes at 17.3. I would expect the differential between turning on and then off to be at least half a degree. This evening it was set to 19.5 but was still on at 20 degrees. Possibly the the temperature displayed is not from the same sensor that switches the heating on and off, which makes a nonsense or the thing.

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

Tado (like other smart thermostats) is a TPI thermostat, so it doesn't work on a temperature differential like the old mechanical thermostats. The algorithms calculate how much heat is needed to heat the home based on the outside temperature. If it calculates that your boiler needs to be on for 15 minutes each hour then the thermostat will cycle the boiler on and off a few minutes at a time over the period of an hour. The algorithms appear to recalculate the level of heat required every 20 minutes.

When raising the temperature there's usually a bit of overshoot, but Tado is usually pretty good at maintaining a fixed temperature. Without the hysteresis gap of 0.5-1.0°C seen with old thermostats the room temperature should be more comfortable and overall it should be more efficient.

• RogerP1952
    Options

OK, thanks for that, I did wonder if it was being controlled by the server software rather than what the actual temperature in the house is, shame it seems to waste so much gas achieving absolutely FA.

• royi
    royi ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

Ive seen the same happening on my side, will wait for my bill to compare previous month (without the tado system being installed).