Wiring Question - Do I bypass / remove the existing controller ?

Options

HI All,

Just about to buy the wired started kit and additional wired thermostat.

House has combi boiler, 2 wired stats (upstairs & downstairs), and a honeywell 7 day, 2 channel programmer.

I understand that the internet bridge plugs into the router. THe wired stats replace the existing stats. What happens with my existing timeclock. Does this get removed and wires looped out in the back, or does this remain and set to permenantly on ?

Thanks

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    It’s hard to say without seeing the wiring, but it can probably be left in circuit, set to permanently on.
  • Thanks, is there anything I can look at in the wiring that may help decide - Or am I bet to just try it, and if it doesnt work, then bypass it.

Im just a little concerned by what is telling the 2 ports to open ?

My only previous experience of smart stats was with nest, on a syetm with 1 zone, no stat, and no programmer, which was easy

Thanks

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Again, hard to say without seeing the circuit but the Tado wired thermostats should act like your existing thermostats and complete the circuit when they call for heat so the controller opens the port when the heating timer is on. In the worst case scenario you can unwire the controller and wire the thermostats directly to the zone valves.
  • Just an update for anyone in a similar position, having installed it over the weekend.

The main controllers gets set to permenant on. The kit comes with a little sticker to put on your controller saying "leave permantly on and control via app"

The new Tado stat that replaced the old stat, sends a demand signal which fires the boiler and opens the relevent valve.

Worked a treat.