No power to wireless receiver

Options

We had a major power cut in the area due to a fire. it took several hours before power was restored to the area, but since then I've had no power to the wireless receiver and as a consequence have no heating, hot water is ok.

Could a power surge have caused the receiver to malfunction?

Answers

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

Power surges CAN kill equipment. But I’d do basic tests. Are you able to test the incoming power to the unit?

I presume you have a Combi boiler.

• Bigbox
    Options
    There is power to the receiver, from the combi.
  • Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

If you proved that, you can try removing the power and see if it recovers. It must be toast otherwise.

You should be able to bypass it to get some heat.

• Bigbox
    Options
    I'm currently waiting for tado to get back to me. Hope I don't have to purchase another replacement receiver
  • Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

I guess you’ll have to see what they say. They might say it’s not their problem.

Don’t go cold waiting. Would be easy to rig something up.

• Same thing happened to me yesterday after a 18 months of trouble free operation. boiler/UFH and tado Extension receiver all dead when I woke up. 3 amp fuse was blown. After replacing fuse, boiler and UFH worked fine. Tado receiver remained dead. . Turns out electricity to rest of street disappeared exactly around the time my tado receiver last communicated to internet gateway, due to an underground cable fault. My electricity had remained on.

bought a V3+ starter kit, and annoyed the form/fit of the programmer controller is now different to the one I had as part of extension kit. But I have fitted it. Using the test buttons, it does send signal to the heatmiser box between boiler for UHF/Radiator control, and bolier comes on. But not with individual TRV/thermostats.

I have now replaced my internet bridge with new one in starter pack, as the model number has changed, to see if that makes a difference. but now waiting for the existing TRV/Thermostats to move over to the new gate.

I am just really annoyed as Tado customer support is almost non-existent. There appears no way to talk to a real person, while all my bedrooms have no heating .

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

Remove the SRTs and they’ll warm up when the boiler fires.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I don’t think you’ll be able to have two bridges on the same account. Have you managed to remove the original?

• The radiator circuit relay is controlled by a heatmiser control box, so even if TRVs are removed from radiators, no hot water is flowing to them. The Tado Receiver sends a signal to the heatmiser box to turn on radiator circuit relay. The heatmiser box also commands the UFH side of things with the boiler.

All this worked perfectly for 18 months. If I could have got hold of an previous version of the Tado wireless receiver - as the one in the Extension kit, i could have just popped off and replaced the front plate.

The new one, doesn't even allow for hidden wires coming from a pattress box. I do not understand their vision of progress, unless I have the wrong item.

Bridges - Yes, not 2 bridges . The app informs you to disconnect and ensure the old gate is unpowered. It then goes trough the process of reconnecting to all existing Tado components - it allows atleast 45min for this but it did complete sooner.

I then had to check the config of the wireless receiver to ensure it was in combi boiler mode. It does this with the colour the power on LED, Blue, Yellow or green. Being colour blind, I had to get my sons help to determine difference of green and yellow. (White, red, blue, might have been more apparent for someone like me - really needs an app that can determine the colour of LEDS for people with colour deficiency).

It stored it this time and the radiator circuit stayed on longer than the 2 min test, so looked good. I left it long enough to heat the rooms, but when I set TRV temps low, or set all rooms off, there is no command from the receiver to switch off the radiator circuit. So the boiler is still going but the TRVs will be closed. Before the boiler would switch off too.