Tado Product - which one?!

Options
Hi

I currently have a Vaillant combi + Vaillant vSmart wireless Thermostat.

I have 11 radiators and I'm not really prepared to go all out Tado. I was tihking about putting a Tado system in of ~4 TRVs and see how it goes.

Few questions:

1. Can I install a Tado smart TRV system alongside my current Vaillant setup?

2. If so, which system would it be?

3. Could I install myself?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

What are you hoping to achieve that you can’t do with the current system?

• PRoberts
    Options
    I want to be able to switch on individual rads

Currently not able to do that
  • Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

Ask yourself what you are hoping to achieve by doing that. Have a look at the Heat Geek site and see whether your situation suits this.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You can buy a bridge and four Tado trvs, though as @Montage says, I don’t really see the point.
  • Catcher
    Options

Would say that the benefit I've had is to set the timing/temp of the smart TRVs during the day without having to go to each rad and adjust it manually. I have a Tado room t/stat and 4 TRVs and the TRVs work fine, pity I can't say same for room t/stat.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    That’s not the same situation though. I’m assuming you don’t have another system running as well?
  • PRoberts
    Options

So - to give some context - I live in a detached dormer bungalow.

Downstairs stays warm all year round - mainly because of our wood burner.

My son's bedroom can get very cold in winter - due to it (essentially) being in the attic. Even though it's insulated properly.

I want to be able to sit in my living room & only turn on his radiator (for example), without having to bumble round the house turning off radiators. Back when I was paying £90 for gas/electricity, it was fine to use the 'smart' thermostat, but the issue with that is that it's just on/off - not really that smart in my opinion.

So, that's it really. I want to install (some kind) of Tado which (at the start) runs in parallel to my Vaillant smart thermomstat & control the key areas of my house.

Hope that helps and thank you all for the feedback so far.... :)

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The Tado trv won’t be able to call for heat without putting in a Tado wireless receiver wired to the boiler. If you’re fine with just controlling the radiator temperature when the boiler is turned on separately, you should be ok.
  • Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

I'd suggest a re-visit of the system design in view of the secondary source of heat.

I'd start with making sure the downstairs TRVs actually work and set those to a level for comfort. This needs to prevent those rads emitting heat when the wood burner is in use.

Look at placing a second stat outside the heated area (or relocating the current one).

Consider an upgrade to your Vaillant controller if you can't achieve what you need.