Opentherm and weather compensation?

Options
:s
can someone please advise me on what unit/system I need to buy to use Opentherm/weather compensation with a wireless thermostat.

Answers

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭
    Options

Assuming you want Tado and have a combi boiler, then you want the EU version of the wireless receiver to get modulation. Tado claim to do the weather compensation from internet weather/location data.

https://uk.installers-shop.tado.com/products/add-on-wireless-receiver-for-combi-boilers

• GrayDav4276
    Options

@Montage

I like your 'turn of phrase'......." tado claim to do the weather compensation "..........they take the information, but I haven't seen any evidence that they actually utilise the data in an operational sense.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Opentherm and weather compensation are two different ways of modulating the boiler’s output. As has been said, the eu wireless receiver supports Opentherm. If you want to use weather compensation you’ll need an external sensor. It isn’t compatible with Tado unless you install Tado via relay.
  • allias3g
    Options
    #johnnyp78 so what do say? Any weather compensation even connected to boiler directly won't work with tado? Will it only work with relay relay rather opentherm?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes, weather compensation will work if you install Tado on relay. You might find there’s no need for Tado if you use it though (or no need for weather compensation if you’re using Tado).
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    My Viessmann boiler can have WC fitted (not currently fitted).......and I'm seriously thinking about re-installing the original Viessmann Wireless controller and adding WC..... and getting rid of my tado° set up.
  • allias3g
    Options
    #GrayDav4276. Why?

#johnnyp76. Thanks for answer. I gather its a matter of the choice between setup as there is no one way to cure it all.
    Some will choose simplicity and others will find total control and adjustment satisfactory.

I am between. Highest possible setup efficiency with great comfort while saving few £££ is the solution for me. No issue if I need to tinker about.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    If you’ve got a boiler where you can set the weather compensation curve, good radiators and insulation, I would look at getting weather comp. You basically set it and forget it.

If you want to have rooms set at different temperatures at different times, turn heating off with geofencing or zone different areas of your house, look at Tado.
  • SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    In a new build I prefer Opentherm Vs weather comp