Anyone with OVO and notice a difference in their Tado-OVO gas usage?

Options
CoachKidd
CoachKidd
edited November 2022 in General Questions & Topics
I’m updating my daily meter readings into the Tado app but can’t figure out why the gas usage seems to be so different.

For November the Energy IQ app in Tado says ~ £2.60 where OVO says ~£78.00 for the same readings.

My tariff is £0.1071 / kWH (which I’ve also entered into Tado) with a standing charge of £0.3193 / day.

Even with 5% VAT the Tado-OVO gap seems too big to be a rounding error.

Is anyone else seeing this?

The only other gas usage in our home is the cooker (4-ring hob & oven) which only sees modest use.

Best Answers

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@CoachKidd I'm with OVO and, with my smart meter providing reliable figures daily I get all the information I need from OVO. I did have Energy IQ for a year with Tado, but I've let my subscription lapse. It does nothing that can't be done with OVO, but what it does is with less satisfactory accuracy.

With OVO I can effortlessly compare monthly consumption from one year to the next....

Or look at how my daily figures stack up with the previous month or previous year....

A shower accounts for about 1 kWh, so inconsequential during winter season. Gas hob, hardly worth worrying about.

Cost figures are also an option, but I'm more concerned with energy use.

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Oh, and if I want a better clue to my actual heating hours, or how my boiler operates, I can gain that understanding from my half hourly figures.

And as my boiler output for heating is fixed at 9 kW it is easy maths to divide total gas kWh for the day (minus showers if I care) by 9 to measure my actual heating hours - boiler burn time - not waffly Tado numbers based on including radiators that have no heat.

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @CoachKidd
    I can't enter the "standing charge" figure in my App.....is this purely an OVO/tado° setting ?? 🤔
  • CoachKidd
    Options

Me neither ... tado° only allows gas usage figures.

This kinda makes sense, at one level, but not when considering the overall view.

Ideally I'd like to see:

(1) tado° allows customers also to add their standing charge to their tariff.

(2) tado°allows customers to give a % figure for their gas usage due to the heating system.

I believe these 2 slight modifications would give a more accurate heating cost, as well as empower us (the customers) to make better choices, since our data is more realistic.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    @CoachKidd
    Sorry..I slightly "misread" your comment.
    I personally have commented on the inaccurate results provided by this tado° feature........in my App it shows my Heating Usage as 1.5 times higher than my total gas meter readings. There is something wrong with the algorithm used by tado°
  • CoachKidd
    Options

Thanks @eezytiger ... 👏

I'll resign myself to using both apps - OVO for the lag measures and tado° for the lead (control) measures.

I like the way that you're steering your energy usage. I'm learning my new system and its responsivity by taking feedback (complaints) from the wife & kids, and I'm nudging up the individual radiator settings and heating periods.

All good fun ... 🤓👍️