Ideal i-mini c24 with opentherm connector kit

Options

Hi, i recently purchased the wireless smart thermostat v3+ with 8 smart TRV's. I recently watched a youtube video on how to wire the device in hoping it will show how to wire to the opentherm connectors however in the comments someone mention that the UK version does not support opentherm, I did a bit of research and i can't find a 100% guarantee on this and will be very disappointed if this is the case, does anyone here in the community know about this or can advise before i decide to use the device or return. thank you.

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Tado should really put a pinned post up about this because it comes up almost every day. The uk wireless receiver has no digital connections; the EU wireless receiver does. All wired thermostats have digital connections.
  • Seraphim
    Options

Thank you for the quick reply and yes I agree they really need to state this limitation as it is very disappointing. if i install the system and then eventually source a EU wireless receiver will all the current UK stuff work with it?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes, that will be fine, provided your boiler supports opentherm and you’re using a combi rather than a system boiler (with hot water cylinder).
  • Seraphim
    Options

Thanks, yes its a Combi boiler and it does support opentherm with an addon that i have already purchased.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You can also buy extension kits on eBay, which are the older version of the wireless receivers and which all have digital connections.
  • Seraphim
    Options

Managed to find an EU thermostat and should arrive next week due to royal mail strike action however when I replace the UK version can I still wire the L N from the boiler to the new thermostat and wire the Opentherm + - and neutral?. just asking as I keep seeing lower voltage requirement online "36v" and its a bit confusing (picture attached is an example of wiring L N and + -

• Montage
    Options

What do you find confusing?

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Err… you seem to have a version there with digital connections? The low voltage connections are on the far right. As far as I can see you’ve wired it correctly.
  • Seraphim
    Options
    Hi again, right the EU version of the receiver came and connected it the boiler however it’s not firing, I don’t get any heat to the radiators but I do get how water
  • Seraphim
    Options

this is the wiring on the boiler

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    You might need to bridge the room stat. You might also need a timer link plug if there’s no timer on the boiler or if there is, set it to always on. I’m assuming you’ve wired in l and n to the wireless receiver.

There should be a guide on how to install Opentherm devices in your boiler manual.
  • Seraphim
    Options
    Thank you for the reply, I have installed a bridge on room state but then the boiler is constantly heating, yes the l and n is connected to the receiver and there is no timer on the boiler.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Try taking the bridge off the room stat in that case.
  • Seraphim
    Options

after all attempts i tried and all failed, i decided to pull off the back cover only to find the Opentherm connector is not plugged into anything, it is the cable in the middle. I now don't know what else to do and when i called ideal they could not advise as i am not a registered gas engineer.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You need to connect the Opentherm harness. Are you looking at your boiler manual? There should be a connection for it under the plate where the timer would go.
  • Seraphim
    Options

thank you Johnnyp78, unfortunately the manual does not say anything I have gone through it for hours and it does not say anything re a harness, is this a separate item I need to purchase.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    No, as far as I can see it’s there, you just need to connect it

https://idealheating.com/uploads/documents/installation-servicing-opentherm-harness-kit.pdf

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/3858/opentherm-with-ideal-logic-30-boiler

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/15021/ideal-combi-logic-wired-thermostat-opentherm-installation#latest
  • Seraphim
    Seraphim
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I managed to find a manual online and followed the instructions for Opentherm, manual states to remove the connection from the timer box and plug into the opentherm plug and the black grommet to the timer box, did all this. Then manually set the tado temperature sensor to D01, saved it and still after 30min nothing no matter what temperature I set to, the only thing I can see is the heat request on the receiver is pulsating. In the end I gave up and reverted back to the UK 240v version, not happy about it. It might be I have a fault EU receiver.
  • Seraphim
    Options
    Thank you @johnnyp78, you have been so helpful.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    If it has a single pulsating light, that’s an extension kit. All it means is that it’s connected to the bridge, it’s not a heat request. I don’t think you have anything faulty, sounds more like a wiring issue to me.