Tado Thermostat Wiring to replace Hive

Options
Mashster
Mashster
edited November 2022 in General Questions & Topics

Hi,

Trying to install my Tado Wireless Starter Kit V3+ with Hot Water Control.

I have a combo boiler Viessman Vitoden BK35

I notice the existing cable going into the boiler from the old hive thermostat was missing the black wire.

The Bar Code to help with the install isn't working so I'm stuck with no connection.

Below Picture is the old Hive Connection

2nd picture is wiring to the boiler, notice the black cable has been cut back.

Questions:-

1. What needs to go where for the correct setup please.
  2. Is the black wire even required?
  3. How do I make sure open therm is connected and working?

Please help, cold house and young kid and wife going bananas !

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by the bar code. Have you received any instructions from Tado?
  • Mashster
    Options

I scanned the bar code on the front of the Tado Thermostat which I thought would take you to a site which shows you the instructions, but it doesnt work.

I have not received any other instructions from Tado

Thanks

• SLB
    Options
    Download the Tado app. Add a device through that and it'll ask you to scan the QR code on the device. Then it will guide you though the installation.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Do you mean the QR code? What happens when you scan it - are you scanning it in the Tado app? It needs to work for you to get the customised instructions.

Is this what you’re doing? https://www.tado.com/gb-en/installation/wireless-smart-thermostat
  • Mashster
    Options

Thank you,

All working now.

Next questions for efficient setup

How do you get opentherm to work with the Vitonden 100-W BK35 condensing boiler?

Does it work straight out the box?

Do any wires need to connect to the wiring block as indicated by the wiring instruction from Viessmann above, it would seem that something needs to be wired into block 1 and 2 although I can't find out what that is ?

Thanks

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The short answer is that you’re not. If you have a uk Tado wireless receiver it doesn’t have digital connections.

You need the eu wireless receiver or a wired thermostat if you want to use Opentherm.
  • Mashster
    Options

Your kidding me!

So the only thing can do is attach the weather compensation module, which I havent as I dont have a north/north-east facing wall.

Tado never informed me of this issue with Opentherm, although I didnt specifically ask.

I dont see the point of Tado over Hive now.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

• johnnyp78
    Options
    What I’ve been told is better trvs and possibly scheduling. You’re right, the lack of modulation on uk receivers is annoying. I ran into the same problem when I bought mine. There are used extension kits that do have modulation available on eBay.
  • Hunter
    Hunter
    edited November 2022
    Options

I have ran hive and still do upstairs. The only advantage is the TRVs which work, close on demand and don’t have the very onerous calibration cycle. That said the TRVs for Tado seem to be noiser and be affected much more by radiator temp so are hard to set. This may require you to buy additional temp sensors to make the trv control the room temp adequately. If you don’t want TRVs then Tado without digital interface really gives nothing significant over hive apart from aesthetics.

some features such as weather adaptation are hidden within the control algorithms and hard to determine value.

you may also find the overall control strategy different from hive in that it’s a lot of turning the boiler off and on rather than waiting for the temp drop then longer firing periods. I assume this is thought to be better control and thus saving money, this is yet to be proven.

the graphing is also much better than hive.

I needed effective zoning so the TRVs drove me here.

hope that helps.

• Mashster
    Options

I cannot understand why Tado would have the Opentherm connections removed from the UK receiver forcing people to purchase a 2nd hand EU version from eBay.

Really feel like I have wasted time and money for not much value add.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Do a forum search and you’ll see this is a question that comes up frequently! They have started selling the eu version here, but only from their installer shop. You might (emphasis on might) be able to return your starter kit if you’ve only just bought it and buy the eu version.
  • Mashster
    Options

Thanks johnnyp78

They are all sold out :-(

• Hunter
    Hunter
    edited November 2022
    Options

Can a wired starter kit and an external temp sensor replace a wireless starter kit for opentherm/digital for combi. Think so.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes, for a combi that’s fine.
  • Mashster
    Options

Thanks Hunter,

I have the wireless room thermostat and want to continue to use that as the combi is in the kitchen and fitting the wired room thermostat, that room is quite cold so fitting the wired thermostat there is not a good idea just to get Opentherm working.

I think my only choice is to wait for the wireless receiver EU version to be back in stock at Tado.

This is what Tado replied with today:-

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

In September 2020, we launched the Starter Kit - Wireless Smart Thermostat V3+ [Incl. Programmer with Hot Water Control], which we designed specifically for the UK market. Because most boilers in the UK are system boilers (S-plan/Y-plan), the kit only supports relay (on/off) connections.

This means, the device does not support digital communication (e.g. eBUS) and can’t be used with a digital combi boiler.

We recommend that you install the Wireless Receiver, included in your Starter Kit, to the relay connection of your boiler. You can find tailored step-by-step instructions in the tado° app.

If you want to control your combi boiler digitally anyway, you’ll need to return your Starter Kit - Wireless Smart Thermostat V3+ [Incl. Programmer with Hot Water Control] to the point of sale and buy one of the following combinations:

• 1x Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ EU, available in the tado° Professional Shop. The Wireless Receiver included in the Kit comes with a pre-wired power supply with an EU plug. This must be replaced with a UK plug by a local engineer. They can also help you install your devices. If you feel confident to do it yourself, you can find the installation instructions in the tado° app.
    • 1x Starter Kit - Wired Smart Thermostat V3+ and 1x Add-on - Wireless Temperature Sensor. Please bear in mind that we don’t provide installation instructions for this specific setup. We recommend that you ask a local heating engineer to wire your devices correctly for you. They can refer to our Manual for Professional Installers. Also, make sure you place your Smart Thermostat in the same room as your Wireless Temperature Sensor in the tado° app. This will prevent double temperature measurement.

Kind regards,

Domagoj

• Hunter
    Options

So that’s why they state you can add the wireless temp sensor. The wired thermostat will be ignored and the wireless thermostat can be positioned anywhere. Anyway if you want to keep it. I think the value of opentherm or ebus is worth doing, I have s plan and no choice.