How can I get a multi-zone installation when there's an incompatibility with the existing Thermostat

My actual installation is :

• Vaillant VC BE 376/3-5-H (only heating / no warm Water)
  • Vaillant VRC 430 Thermostat (ground floor)
  • Vaillant VR-81 1st floor

I managed to install Tado on the ground floor & it works perfectly. Once I tried to install a second Tado wired Thermostat on the first floor (replacing the VR-81), I got the message that my installation is incompatible. So, I'm stuck with the first floor ...

Can someone help me please ?

Many thnaks in advance for your support !!

Cheers

Vince

Answers

• What Tado devices do you have installed downstairs? The problem you are having is trying to replace a sophisticated weather compensation modulation system with a simple Tado relay system. If there’s no zone valve for upstairs you might be able to install the Tado thermostat as a wireless temp sensor. If there is you might need to rewire.
  • Thank you Johnny for your help !

I installed a Tado wired Thermostat and placed the original Vaillant VRC430 on the boiler as explained.

• Does the thermostat replacing the vr81 need to be wired in? Can you add it as a wireless thermostat? If your house is zoned you won’t be able to but I don’t think you’ve said whether it is.
  • Yes, my house is zoned (zone 1 : ground floor - Zone 2 : first floor).

• In that case I think you should contact Tado support, you’ll need to rewire because you’re replacing a digital connection with a relay one. Presumably there’s a wiring centre for the zone valves?
  • Indeed. Huge thanks for your help. Much appreciated Johnny

• No worries, hope you get it sorted.