Bought wireless Tado but being told I need wired - any way to make it work?

Options

Hi, I need some help please.

I bought some Tado equipment before I moved into a new house without understanding the heating system, Tado support now suggest it won't be compatible - hoping you can help me salvage some of it as I've had it too long to return for a refund.

I have bought a "Starter Kit V3+ Wireless Smart Thermometer incl. with Hot Water Control' (and a number of TRVs).

My heating set-up is a 'Ariston Clas HE System evo' boiler, Honeywell TS715Si for hot water control and Danfoss thermostats, (it's a system with hot water tank). Dual zone heating system with one thermostat/programmer for upstairs and another one downstairs.

I discussed with Tado support and they suggested I needed to buy: 1 x Starter Kit - Wired Smart Thermostat V3+, 1 x Add-on - Wired Smart Thermostat, 1 x Add-on - Wireless Receiver [Programmer with Hot Water Control].

Thanks for reading so far, now the questions I hope you can help with...

1 - Instead of buying all new, can I use the wireless starter kit? Perhaps buying an add-on wired thermostat?

2 - I've read about e-bus and digital vs relay, EU starter kits etc. - would I get any advantage (in terms of boiler performance/efficiency) buying and using a wired starter kit over the wireless one?

Thank you.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    1. Yes, this should in theory be possible, depending on where your zone valve and boiler is and how it’s wired. Wireless receiver to one zone valve and hot water, wired thermostat to the other zone valve.

2. You need the wireless starter kit for hot water control. If you just want to control heating leave the programmer in place and just get two wired thermos. You can’t use modulation in a zoned system or with a relay hot water control.

If Tado support are telling you you need more equipment they probably have a reason for doing so though (and not just to sell more devices)
  • @johnnyp78 Thanks for your reply and your thoughts. I hadn't really considered just having Tado for the heating and not the hot water, I'd assumed I'd do both but I so rarely change the hot water schedule I could make it simpler.

"You can’t use modulation in a zoned system or with a relay hot water control" - thank you for such a clear statement, I hadn't understood that it couldn't work and thought I might be missing out on some efficiency.

In term of Tado's recommended equipment, I'm sure they've told me the ideal of what I'd need but they didn't answer whether I could use what I've already got without having to start again.

Thanks for your help.