One room with thermostatic radiator valve

Options

I have successfully installed a Tado smart radiator valve in a small south facing study which is now a separate zone. It seems to be working ok. The main reason is that the room overheats in winter due to solar input and also the rad is probably oversized. Am I right in thinking the possible operational scenarios are, given the main smart thermostat is in the lounge:-

1. Heating in the lounge calling for heat and set at say 21C, study smart valve set at 20C and room is actually 23C so it will shut down until temp reaches 20C independently of lounge.
  2. The study can accept a separate timer program for when it is on and off with its own temperatures.
  3. If the lounge is above its set temperature and the study below, the study can only heat up if the lounge does as well? There is no way of heat being diverted from lounge when the smart radiator calls for heat. So effectively it can cool independently to the lounge but not heat?

Is this correct in this scenario?

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    All correct. I’m not sure which would take priority in terms of calling for heat unless you make the trv independent, which means it can’t call for heat but can open the valve so it gets heat when the thermostat in the lounge calls for heat.
  • dcweather
    Options

Thanks - yes now it's been running for a few days it seems that the Study with the smart valve can be cooler than the lounge (the main objective achieved) but can't call for heat without the rest of the system heating which is logical if you think about it. I think it will also over ride the temperature set on the lounge thermostat in that situation.

I now just need to get my head round what would be the options if I had a further smart valve on one or both of the two rads in the lounge. :-). Wouldn't the room stat then effectively become redundant as the rads would act as surrogate independent room stats?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    No, the room stat would remain the master stat for the room, the trvs wouldn’t give temp readings of their own but would be linked to the thermostat. You’d need trvs on all the rads ideally.
  • dcweather
    Options

I presume when you say trvs you mean Tado smart ones. I have non-smart trvs on all the other rads. To be honest I have never found them to do much more than alter the temp of the rad to a lower or higher fixed temperature when you screw them in or out.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    @dcweather yup, Tado trvs, sorry should have made that clear.