Energy IQ vastly underestimating heating consumption

Options

Hi all,

I've recently submitted all of my meter readings into Energy IQ for the past year, and have also updated it with my latest tariff.

Despite this, Energy IQ is way off - for example, in September it's claiming I used 3.31m^3 of energy desite my energy bill (smart meter) reading 15.7m^3. Other months show similar differences (e.g. my current month spend is estimated to be £22, yet the smart meter is showing I've used £5.49 of gas today already this morning).

Has anyone else had this issue, and is there an obvious fix I'm missing? If not, the functionality seems fairly useless.

Comments

• srichards
    Options

Yep. It's laughably bad.

Most of us just want an active heating hours number per day that is actually anything like accurate. You can then just check the meter to see what an average hour of heating uses and work out a rough amount from there. First heating of the day is likely to be the most heavy use so it's a good worst case average I think.

If you have a combi boiler it can't work out a reasonable estimate as it can't know how much gas is used for hot water. It can only guess and assume that from a zero hours heating week the gas used is all hot water and it never changes in winter.

It doesn't know accurate heating hours either as it seems to include all hours when anything is asking for heat as heating hours not just when the actual boiler is on which is what normal people consider heating hours.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    My Energy IQ estimate is actually "HIGHER" than my "TOTAL" gas usage ?? 🤔
    It looks like tado° cannot ADD or SUBTRACT.........good god 😝
  • Rom
    Options
    Mine seems to be reasonably close. I'm on a combi, so there is a discrepancy due to it not knowing gas used for water, or cooker hob for that matter!

Reading the comments (new to Tado) is the system active time in Care and Protect a total of each trv added then? Today mine was like 14+ hrs. Which can't be right!
    I've been thinking does it add all of them up, rather than an actual boiler on time.
  • andyblac
    Options

to get better results, submit readings everyday at same time, for AT LEAST 30 days, it does help, but it will NEVER be 100% as this is for heating ONLY, will not take into account water or cooking, or other gas appliances, like wall heaters etc.

the more you give it readings the better.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

@andyblac

I understand your reasoning behind your comments.........but, as I stated above.....

" My Energy IQ estimate is actually "HIGHER" than my "TOTAL" gas usage ?? 🤔

It looks like tado° cannot ADD or SUBTRACT.........good god 😝 "

My total gas usage for the last 19 days = 53m3

According to Energy IQ for the same period my " Heating Usage " is 74m3........NOT EVEN CLOSE !!!!!

• wateroakley
    Options

Since we were told that energy prices were going up dramatically, a year ago, I read the meters most days and check our energy use for heating against mean CET reported by the UK Met Office. With Tado, we actively control our energy use for heating in the home. At the same outside temperature, heating is 24-26% less energy (gas).

I’ve looked at the reported Tado saving numbers over the same period. They appear to be a guesstimate.

• andyblac
    Options

@GrayDav4276 mines other way round lol,

My total gas usage for the last 19 days = 45m3

According to Energy IQ for the same period my " Heating Usage " is 35m3

so, if i take into account cooking and showers (in summer when heating is off i only use around 2.5-3m3 a month), it still not even close

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

@andyblac

It seems to me that tado° really need to sort this out.......because for me it's a total waste of time........and because it's a significant part of the subscription service, if it doesn't work properly, that means that the only part of the subscription service that is worth me having, is the "automatic" part of the Open Window Detection.

I will cancel my subscription if tado° don't get this sorted..........

• andyblac
    Options

@GrayDav4276 yeah, glad i don't pay for it, If I had too, I would not subscribe to it.

• Adium
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses, it sounds like I'm not alone and no clear fix so it's time to ditch the tado subscription.

To answer a few questions:
    - My Care & Protect screen seems quite accurate for heating hours, but the £ calculation is still way off.
    - my setup is a conventional boiler (vaillant) and hot water cylinder, not a combi
    - I can appreciate gas hobs won't be included, but it doesn't go near explaining the gap
    - I've submitted a gas reading every month for the last year at similar times, so it has everything it needs

I seem to remember energyiq used to be quite accurate before I entered my bills, so it sounds like it's something to do with the £ conversion.

Could it be because I enter my readings in m^3 but enter a price per KWH? Tado seems to accept the units, but maybe has something wrong in how it converts the units into monetary values?
  • Adium
    Options
    Also - it looks like I can't easily switch units in the energyiq app without wiping all my data, which is very frustrating..