Wireless receiver supporting modulated heating + hot water control, for system boiler.

Options
PaulGBH
PaulGBH
edited November 2022 in General Questions & Topics

I have an 'Ideal Vogue max' System boiler that supports OpenTherm - their support technicians have confirmed it.

It heats the hot water in the hot water tank, plus the central heating (7 radiators, all with TADO TRV's).

I would like to use the modulation feature of my boiler for central heating.

What do I need? Does such a thing exist in TADO's product line-up?

This recent release to the UK market appears to be only for Combo Boilers: https://uk.installers-shop.tado.com/products/wireless-smart-thermostat-starter-kit-v3-eu-version?fbclid=IwAR0gk3WavR6dgRye4WD7Ug536n7f1luY97aILWE9YlxTxsaOdFueTXKhvn4

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m afraid it isn’t going to be possible with a system boiler unless you replumb it to be priority domestic hot water. If you’re willing to do that you can use the eu wireless receiver you’ve linked to.
  • GrantJD
    Options

Would you be able to explain priority domestic hot water to me a little? I'm in a very similar situation where I've bought a wireless starter kit and then learned about the modulated heating(which I have with my current thermostat) and am worried about losing efficiancy.

However when we got an installer out he wasn't able to install it because he was confused by our setup, and from what I'm reading the EU receiver above may work for us.

We have a Worcester Greenstar 30i compact system boiler, but its been configured with 4 pipes(which is what confused the installer) looking at the instructions myself, I'm assuming that means it has a separate input and output for the heating and the water tank. Is this what priority domestic hot water is, and would that mean I could get the above EU receiver and install it to keep the modulated heating?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    As far as I know all system boilers have that. There’s a good explanation of pdhw here. https://theintergasshop.co.uk/content/189-why-hot-water-priority-is-the-reason-s-and-y-plan-should-be-banned
  • PaulGBH
    Options

I wonder if this situation has changed at all?