Remove the 10 room limit from the controller

Please remove or increase the 10-room limit from the controller. I have to group rooms together to make my system work which is not ideal.

15 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• I might be wrong on this but I think that’s a hardware limit. If you’ve got more than 10 rooms I’m amazed they’re all in range of the bridge anyway, that seems to be a common complaint.
  • @Pejodo

If you carry out a search within the Forum, then you will find a lot of comments from other users and explanations from tado° employees regarding this very topic........there has been a fair number if I remember correctly.

• Yes - this is a must. I have 16 valves across 14 rooms all within range of the bridge. Four of the rooms don't call for heat so I have had to group en-suites and bedrooms together - I'm now heating rooms that don't need to be heated.

I moved from Hive because Tado 'appeared' to be much better. Bit of a backwards step!

I'm amazed that this only has four upvotes, particularly with the amount of threads that request it!

• I personally don't see an issue with certain types of room grouping.......for example as en-suites are attached to bedrooms......why not have each bedroom and it's en-suite as 1 room.......therefore if you have 3 bedrooms and 3 en-suites, then you have 3 rooms and not 6. Also it's possible to group similar usage or adjacent rooms together.......that's just my own thoughts tho'.

• Linking bedrooms and en-suites is what I've ended up doing, but I prefer a warm en suite and a cool bedroom.

I don't think it's an unreasonable request, particularly as they support up to 25 devices. I'm not sure anyone here could fit 25 devices into a 10 room house!

• luteijn
    luteijn ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    I have about 12 rooms. I am not bothering with heating the smallest of them (that is a toilet and hasn't even got a radiator, but it very well could have had), and the 'secondary bathroom c.q. boilerroom' has no active control and the towel rack is just always leeching heat if any is available. Also, one of the rooms is a large open plan sitting/kitchen room, this could have easily been one or two extra rooms. Some of the rooms have more than one radiator -> extra actuator needed, or radiatorvalve in a fixed position. UFH is on, but not calling for heat directly, but the Wired thermostat is in that room. So for now 10 radiator valve actuators, a bridge and a thermostat.

There is a case to be made for more actuators (for the UFH and the now passive radiators), more sensors (one wireless thermostat per zone/room), and even more control boxes separate from sensors, as the best place for a hardwired control isn't always the same as where the radiator-knob or the temperature sensor should be.

Besides being way too expensive to merit, all those extra devices would easily overshoot the 25 device limit. This is just a 4 person city house, I haven't even started on the holiday home, that would need a separate account, and all the hassle that would bring...

For really small houses with 1-2 people living there on a very fixed/traditional schedule, with a simple set-up of 1 combi-boiler, and 5-6 rooms, tado would work fine, but then you probably could do without it easily. For a large office, you'd use something more professional with wires going everywhere, and automated blinds, air-conditioning, etc. etc.For the type of 4-6 person family home, or slightly large multi-tenant (student?) property, the features are missing. And for a hacker's toy, the DYI input/outputs are missing.
    So much lost potential..
  • I have 11 rooms with 14 smart thermostats.

Each thermostat is controlled individually and it shouldnt be a huge leap to allow each to send a call for heat to the boiler controller.

In terms of the Tado app, grouping thermostats into rooms makes sense but limiting the number of rooms that can make calls for heat does not.

Hoping that another room is making a call for heat when rooms that are not assigned to a zone controller require heat is a compromise and is not allowing me to directly control every room in my house.

I see that you can control 25 rooms for air con but only 10 rooms for heating.

Tado needs to have a consistent approach.

I guess the wireless controller would need to have its code upgraded to loop through 'n' rooms rather than 10 rooms - or allow calls for heat to be driven directly by the thermostats.

The problem isn't going away - just more customers hitting the same limitation

• ChadH
    ChadH
    edited December 2022

I resolved this issue by adding an additional wired thermostat, and wiring it in parallel with my wireless controller. That way if either the wired or wireless thermostat called for heat, the boiler would fire (this works for me as I use the Normally Open contacts wired in parallel).

You can also use the Normally Closed contacts wired in series. If you have a digital/opentherm connection to your boiler, this won't work.

I did have to contact Support to get my new wired Thermostat enabled as a Zone controller, but once that was done, I was able to assign up to 10 rooms to my Wireless controller, and an additional 9 rooms to the Wired thermostat (on top of the room that the wired thermostat is in).

WIth this set up, I can now have 20 rooms call for heat :)

I was lucky enough that my bedroom wall backs on to where the boiler controls are, so I could just wire my bedroom thermostat straight in. However, my backup plan would have been to just hide the thermostat in with the boiler and set it up in the app as a dummy room that was permanently off and not used for anything.

• Similar to others, bathrooms and en-suites have had to be grouped to overcome this limitation, 10 is far to low for a modern house
  • There is very little chance that tado will modify their operating methodology on this current range of products...... And there is no obvious information about this being a priority to tado for the next generation of tado devices.....if indeed there is a new generation of tado devices in the pipeline.
  • The 10 room limit is a very serious limitation indeed. I have 5 bed house with 6 rooms with radiators downstairs and 10 rooms with radiators upstairs. So in my case I installed two internet bridges and two smart thermostats, one upstairs and one downstairs, both connected to the same boiler of course. So I basically had to set up two separate systems (one for upstairs and one for downstairs) with separate email addresses and have to log out and into each each account to see upstairs or downstairs and cannot see the whole house at any one time. So it's not ideal, but it basically works and the idea of grouping areas together seemed pointless to me as it kind of negates the reason for using a system like Tado in the first place and what should you "group" anyway? rooms separated by doors? that makes no sense at all!

• Have a look at my comment a few up from this one.

I used an additional wired thermostat in what sounds like a similar set up to yours, and can have twenty rooms on the same account - 10 on the wireless controller, and 10 on the wired controller, but all accessible from the same Tado login. This works great for me.

I did have to contact support to get them to enable the new wired thermostat as a Zone Controller, but this was pretty straight forward and was sorted within a few hours of contacting them.

• Hi Chad, interesting approach. I will see if I can do the same, thanks!

• To avoid any confusion with Tado support, I just referred to this link - https://support.tado.com/en/articles/4689126-how-does-tado-control-heating-zones-how-can-i-change-the-zone-controller-of-a-room and told them that my setup was Option D, but I could only see the Wireless Zone controller, not the Wired one (or vice versa - I forget which way round it was! It might have been that adding the Wired controller caused the Wireless one to disappear)

Shortly afterwards, they came back to me and said that they'd made a change, and both Zone Controllers were then available. I then assigned any leftover rooms to the new Zone Controller.

I find it weird that you have to contact support for this, but it was something that needed to be done. From memory, you can only have 1 wireless zone controller, but you can have multiple wired zone controllers.

My boiler uses Normally Open contacts, so I just wired both the wired and wireless controllers in parallel - if either of the controllers request heat, then the boiler fires up.

10 room limit bypassed, although I suspect you're still limited to the 25 device limit (or whatever that limit was)

• I looked at "Example D" and it seems to be exactly what I currently have as I have a smart thermostat in the hall downstairs and another in the airing cupboard upstairs (simply because I have easy access to the boiler control in there). That thermostat upstairs is not used to monitor the temp (would be a but stupid to do that in the airing cupboard) it's just as the core of a second system for upstairs. Temps are all measured by radiator valves. So making that a separate zone would make a lot of sense. My boiler control is also normally open, so have those two smart thermostats wired in parallel and all us currently working correctly except for that fact that I currently need two separate accounts to control the house.

Interestingly, I also have underfloor heating in another part of the house and that is currently not controlled by Tado but is also on the same boiler. That really IS another zone with separate pump and everything, so now I wonder if there is a way to also bring that area under Tado control?

• Just to add my support to having greater than 10 room support. Appreciate that there are workaround solutions, but ease of setup is a key element for Tado. 10 rooms just seems too few for older style properties.