25 Day Batteries

Options

That's right. I have just got a text that the first Tado TRV I fitted 25 days ago needs a battery change.

This is one of two in the lounge controlled by a temperature controller.

Reading the graph it looks like it has had about 313 actuations in those 25 days. (that may be double eg. 313 on and 313 off)

It is also the nearest to the bridge, being only 10ft away.

One can only ask why?

Comments

• Folkranger
    Options

Anybody.................?

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Options

@Folkranger That doesn't sound right at all.

I bought 7 SRTs just over 2 years ago and I've kept a record of battery changes.

In that time, 3 lasted a year, 1 lasted around 18 months and 2 lasted nearly 2 years before requiring their first battery change. The remaining one is still on its original batteries after 25 months, so I'm expecting this one to be requiring them imminently.

On one of the first 3, I replaced the batteries a second time after a further 6 months, but that was to diagnose a potential range issue.

In all but one case I got a low battery email and notification. The other one died without alerting me, so I only discovered it was flat when it stopped working.

Obviously battery lifetime will vary with usage conditions but 25 days seems crazy low. Possibly faulty? Be interesting to hear what other people's experiences are of battery life.

• Folkranger
    Options

Nice to hear your experience. I had read various scare stories both here and on other sites and assumed that it's a small minority and you only hear from those with problems. Then crash down to earth as the first one of 11 fitted by me sent a message that is was flat.

My assumptions are:

1 It's not the distance from the bridge

2 It could be old batteries in the new unit (unlikely though as batteries usually have at least years on them)

3 The unit could be faulty

4 The valve could be stiff using a lot of power to move it.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The batteries Tado supplied with my wireless temperature sensor, bought in may, lasted about three months. The replacements have been fine so it may be something like that.
  • Folkranger
    Options

As I was typing a reply the flagged battery gave up altogether, so within 9 hours of the notification.

All I have at present is a box of "cheap" AA alkaline batteries bought from Amazon. Lets see how they do.

• Folkranger
    Options
    The batteries I've had to change test at 1.53 and 1.54 volts.

Odd!
  • Folkranger
    Options
    Tried the original batteries back in and they work fine again. App shows good for battery status.

Now what went wrong?
  • Folkranger
    Options

The original batteries are fine so it's either the physical connection is poor or the software has a glitch.

Anybody else had this problem?

• Folkranger
    Options

Is battery level detection carried out online at tado or on the trv?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    If you’re getting a text then it will have come via Tado’s servers, but the low battery warning is supposed to show on the devices first