multizone - 2 channel zone valve heating

Options

My house is currently setup for 2 heating zones (upstairs/downstairs) with zone valves fitted in the pipework for each zone. I really want to be able to operate each radiator independently in each zone so looking at Tado and moving toward the Smart Radiator Thermostats.

I have a Grant combi boiler which is wired into a Honeywell ST9520C 2 channel zone heating controller with 2 x wireless digital thermostats which are located in each zone - currently I have no wiring running round the house to the digital thermostats - the controller is wired to operate each zone valve independently.

Its very similar to this Tado setup, but with 2 x wireless thermostats and the 7 day timer/controller operating the zone valves https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3481812-how-does-tado-control-a-multi-zone-radiator-heating-system

From what I've read, Tado doesn't have 2 heating channels in the wireless receiver for controlling 2 zone valves with 2 x wireless thermostats - question is what Tado kit do I need to retrofit my existing system?

Is it a Wireless starter kit + Wired thermostat?

Zone 1 - Wireless Temperature Sensor/Wireless Receiver operate zone valve 1

Zone 2 - Wired Smart Thermostat gets wired directly to zone valve 2

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    That’s usually the way to do it with a combi and zone valves, so should work.
  • fuel__2001
    Options

Feels like a backward step to now introduce wiring after a decade of wireless zoned heating control.

You would've thought Tado could so something for multichannel control within the existing receiver?

• fuel__2001
    Options
    @GrayDav4276
    New job means I work from home - I wanted to control individual radiators within a zone with smart TRVs rather than heat the entire zone.

Unfortunately I dont think i can do this with the existing wireless setup unless I manually turn the TRVs on/off.

Really wish there was a way round this as I like my current setup
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    You could get an additional wireless temp sensor, but obviously that’s more expense.

In that set up you’d have zone 1 - wireless receiver to zone valve and wireless temp sensor and zone 2 - wired thermo (acting as zone controller rather than measuring unit) to zone valve and wireless temp sensor.

The other option is to leave out the wireless temp sensor(s) and put Tado trvs on your rads, which can also call for heat but may give a less accurate temperature reading.
  • fuel__2001
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Zone 1 - 10 rads
    Zone 2 - 5 rads

Although not part of the house I have got a 3rd zone which uses a wireless programmer with a relay which got me thinking....

Is it possible to have 2 x Tado wireless recievers (each with a wireless thermostat) using a single bridge within the Web based app on 1 account?
    That way a wireless receiver could control an individual zone valve without needing to run wires round the house.
    Then fit TRVs into a zone for room control
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    No, one wireless receiver per account, but you could use a wired thermostat with a wireless temp sensor to do the same thing. You could also leave out the wireless temp sensor and just use the Tado trvs to call for heat via the wired thermostat connected to the zone valve.

There’s also a difference between Tado thermostats and wireless temp sensors - Tado thermostats can be used wired or wirelessly and are more expensive, wireless temp sensors have no physical connections and are cheaper.

Your house sounds very large. I would do a bit of digging into Tado’s limitations in large houses because it sounds like some devices would be out of range of the bridge.
  • Just about to make the leap and swap my wireless 2 zone Honeywell controls to Tado - heated by a combi. The current Honeywell programmer does the live switching of each zone valve as each wireless thermostat calls for heat

Ive got the Tado temp sensor and extension kit + wired smart thermostat

Little bit unsure how to wire the Tado in so as to control each zone valve independently - so far

Extension kit opens zone 1

When I call for heat with the smart wired thermostat for zone 2, it also switches on the extension kit and opens the zone 1, so haven't quite worked out how to control each zone separately?

• davidlyall
    Options

You could simply change the wiring so both zone valves are on the same terminal so when a call for heat is made, both zone valves are opened. The down side of this is that your pumping heating water round the entire system when it might only be one room needing heat but the upside is that it would require minimal wiring changes while still allowing you to have wireless thermostats

The alternative is to replace your wireless 'stats with Tado wired ones which then control the zone valves but that will require wiring to be run to their positions

• SunnyD
    Options

I tried many attempts to solve this and it CAN be done VERY easily by a very simple software update to allow a Thermostat to be singled out as a zone valve and it would all be wireless but they don't seem to want to do this simple software up date.

This is how i have been running it

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/17809/software-feature-to-allow-a-smart-tado-valve-as-a-zone-valve#latest

SO the only solution I have come up with (and many others too) is to get a second tado hub and internet bridge set it up and run the second zone smart valves /thermostats on that each tado hub would then control their own zones respectively.

ONLY issue would be you'd have to have the tado app installed on 2 Different devices signed in with different accounts OR sign out and back into the second account on the one device to control the other hub vice versa you cant have multiple hubs on the same account... AGAIN a silly software update could solve this!