Wireless reciever and wired thermostat?

Options
Can I wire the wireless reciever to the heating junction box together with wire from the wired thermostat so that the trvs call for heat via wireless reciever, also still have thermostat hard wired incase Internet fails, or will this back feed thermostat when wireless reciever turns heating on? Thank you

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Why use a wireless receiver at all? Just use a wired thermostat if you want controls in case your internet goes down. The trvs don’t communicate with the wireless receiver, all Tado products communicate with the bridge. The only exception to this would be controlling the boiler directly with the wired thermostat if there was no internet connection.
  • fleeson69
    Options
    That's the reason I want to keep thermostat wired as well incase Internet fails! And the wireless reciever is the only zone controller option that I can select for trvs, can't get thermostat to become zone controller, have tried everything in support section! Will it be OK to wire reciever and thermostat in same junction slot to control heating?
  • fleeson69
    Options
    I've got wireless reciever to control hot water
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    If you can’t set the wired thermostat as a zone controller then you won’t be able to use it to control the heating in any circumstances. That’s the first thing you would need to sort out.

I’m not an electrician so I don’t know where to start with wiring both devices into a junction box. I think it should theoretically be possible if you have two isolated circuits, if not then I’d say there’s a big risk of short circuiting one of the devices.
  • Kissarmy
    Options
    @fleeson69 Could you just clarify if you are talking about wiring a Tado wireless receiver and a Tado wired Smart Thermostat to the same boiler or a Tado wireless receiver and a generic dumb thermostat that was already attached to the boiler before you bought Tado?
  • fleeson69
    Options
    Tado wired thermostat and tado wireless reciever
  • fleeson69
    Options
    The tado wired thermostat controls the downstairs and upstairs heating but just can't seem to get it to become an option to select as a zone controller for the trvs, only option to select is the wireless reciever!
  • luteijn
    luteijn ✭✭✭
    Options
    If using relay on/off, should not be an issue to wire more than one thermostat in paralel, as it then works as an 'or' function, if one (or more) of the relays close(s), the net result is the boiler will go on.
    If you're using the modulating option, it is not (in general) going to work, but in that case you can still manually set heating on the knobs.

When internet goes, you lose ability to control via app and web, as well as scheduling.

I guess what you want is NOT wire up the wired thermostat, but use it as an overpriced wireless temp. sensor, somewhere. Then that room/zone has an easy to reach spot to adjust heat, and better sense of the real temperature.

With the current bridge it is not possible to do central local controle for more than one zone, as it only talks to the cloud on, reassigning all your valve actuators to one zone controlled by one thermostat for cenral control until internet comes back can't be done anymore once you lose internet....
  • fleeson69
    Options
    I contacted tado before buying asking what I needed to control heating and hot water on my system, them just said starter kit, soon realised when fitting I needed wireless reciever, and then realising I could have just had a wireless thermostat instead of wired one! Will do my own research next time lol! So there's no chance of back feeding thermostat if wireless reciever turns heating on?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Looking at your set up it sounds like you might have a two zone heating system. Do you have zone valves controlling the upstairs and downstairs heating? In that case you need something like a wireless receiver controlling one zone valve and the hot water and a wired thermostat controlling the other zone valve.
  • fleeson69
    fleeson69
    edited October 2022
    Options

yes i have 2 zone heating, downstairs thermostat controls heating upstairs and down stairs, and ive got another thermostat which just controls master bedroom.

here is a diagram of what i want to do

so thermostat is hard wired so if internet does do down i can still control heating, but will use the wireless reciever as the zone controller so effectively the thermostat becomes a temp sensor for its location and also can manually turn heating on