Overshooting the target temperature - options?

Options
My temperature is regularly quite stable but when it slowly drops and triggers a heat request, there is a delay before the room heats and by the time the heat request quits there's a big momentum in the system and the room overheats by up to 2 deg C over the target temperature.

Are there any config options to limit this? Like limiting a heat request to 10mins within a 30min window.

Does Tado learn the ramp up time and estimate the momentum left?

I guess moving the thermostat closer to the radiator would help too...

Thoughts?

Comments

• joefish
    Options

This shows an example of the spike. We opened windows to cool the house again quicker, wasting the heat.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    How long have you had the Tado installed? It’s pid so it should learn not to overshoot.
  • MK1
    Options

I have the same problem. In my case it's been like this since several years. I have floor heating that may have much larger thermal inertia than a radiator. Not sure if Tado is capable to consider it or if it is using the same PID settings for all homes regardless of heating type. It is really annoying and wasting energy.

• Folkranger
    Options
    It depends whether you're quoting temperature measured by trvs or room stats. Trvs will always have a bigger overshoot as they are measuring the heat around the rad. Roo stats are less affected.
  • limeyard
    Options

October has been unseasonably warm, so solar gains can leave the controls standing. That happens here, although I am not saying that is the reason in your case.

However, heating demands have been very low so if your boiler water temperature is/was high that could cause overshoot - especially if the radiator/s are oversized (which, for other reasons, is good).

If it is set high, reducing your (condensing?) boiler temperature would bring significant gains in comfort AND efficiency.💲

• joefish
    Options

Thanks for all the replies!

It has been installed for approx a month. How long does it need to learn?

The temperatures are from wireless stats, not TRVs.

Good call on the boiler temp, it does seem to come on very hot. It's not something I've ever adjusted but I'll look into it.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Do you know how your Tado controller (wireless receiver/ wired thermostat) is installed? If it’s relay you should be able to set the max flow temp on the boiler. If it’s digital you can now do it here https://model-selector.tado.com/

In either case, setting the max flow temp to 55c or below will allow the boiler to operate at its most efficient level (assuming you have a gas condensing boiler).
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

@joefish

Definitely adjust the Max Flow temperature of your boiler.......it'll operate much more efficiently and as a byproduct it should at least reduce the "overshoot" because your radiators will be supplied on a "Low & Slow" heat cycle. ( Cheers to @johnnyp78 )

It's a pity that tado° don't feel " Involved Enough " with their customers that use the Community Forum, to actually promote these sort of "Tips & Tricks" to produce a more effective & efficient heating operating system, and therefore save their customers money.......quite important......especially now.

• joefish
    Options

I have an oil boiler, which tado either switches on or off.

The boiler also heats the hot water when it's on. This is the only obvious place I see to adjust the temperature but I'm not clear if this is for the hot water, the radiators or both.

I have someone more familiar with boilers visiting this weekend and they might be able to poke around and advise now to lower the temp.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I’d leave the temp as is with an oil boiler (unless you have a good idea what you’re doing). They operate totally differently.
  • joefish
    Options
    OK, so wait for Tado to learn? I have the morning temp stepping from 19 deg C to 19.5 deg C but today, for example, it kept requesting heat until 19.8 deg C and the momentum carried the temp to over 20 deg C . It's taking a couple of hours to drop back to 19.5.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    If your mate knows how to adjust the temp on the boiler without messing it up then try that. I know oil boilers can be very temperamental if you change the settings without knowing what you’re doing.
  • Ervcrt100
    Options

@johnnyp78 thanks for the link - https://model-selector.tado.com/

didn't know this was possible, i didn't have a max. setting, have changed to 55C, will see how i get on.

thanks

• johnnyp78
    Options
    @Ervcrt100 that’s only for digital connections (I.e opentherm). If your Tado device is connected via relay it won’t do anything.
  • Ervcrt100
    Options

@johnnyp78 yeh it's on opentherm.

the boiler took ages to turn off after setting this, not sure if this was a coincidence or not.

heating was set so not sure if it interfered with it, anyway, its back to normal

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @Ervcrt100
    With the Max Flow temperature set to a condensing temperature 50°C(ish) then you will find that your boiler is likely to run longer.....because it's operating in a "Low & Slow" scenario......however the boiler is only "sipping" gas and not "binge drinking"
    to use a drinking analogy.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    @Ervcrt100 like @GrayDav4276 says, the boiler may run longer but there should be no problem running at a lower max flow temp. Just means your boiler is running more efficiently.
  • Ervcrt100
    Options

@GrayDav4276 @johnnyp78 you two are legends, thanks alot. i got worried and set it to 60 to see if it made a difference lol. i will set back to 55C.

thanks

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Tbh 60 or 55 won’t make a lot of difference anyway on a system with modulation - because you have a modulating system your boiler won’t always ramp up to 60, but if it’s set to 55 the boiler will never be operating above the dew point.
  • joefish
    Options
    @johnnyp78 my mate reckons that min/max dial I showed will simple adjust the max temp. It's the same circulation of water that coils around the hot water tank as what goes through the radiators, simple enough. I'm going to give it a go.
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @joefish
    Please be aware that the tado° Max Flow Temperature is set to 80°C by default during initial installation. Also the tado° setting will have priority over the setting that you choose via your boiler front panel.
    Your mate might know how your boiler works.....but unless he has experience with a tado° system he will not be able to get the result that you want.
    @joefish
    Please read my apology below.
  • Out of interest, is this purely for ‘opentherm’ communication or will it work with Worcester EMS?

• johnnyp78
    Options

@Notascoobie good question. The documentation from Tado only mentions opentherm but i would have thought it's worth a try with ebus/ems.

• johnnyp78
    Options

@GrayDav4276 it's an oil boiler so will be installed on relay, setting the max flow temp on the app won't make any difference anyway.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Yup.....I missed the obvious clue....Oil boiler..... Sorry @joefish for the confusion.
  • joefish
    Options
    Still struggling with this. I haven't messed with the boiler temp yet as I want to get a thermometer first to ensure the change doesn't cause the hot water to drop below 60C and introduce a risk of Legionella bacteria.

I'm experimenting with breaking the 0.5C steps into smaller steps to try avoid the overshoot.

But can anyone tell me why if the target temp is 19.5 is the system still requesting heat (level 2) when the temp is 19.9 and going towards? This is in the morning with outdoor temperature only getting warmer too.
  • lukass
    Options
    @joefish did tou managed to fix this? I recently bought Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ and have the same problem - I expected more from the "smart" thermostat but it seems that it works same as any other dumb relay based thermostat. I hooked it over OpenTherm to my gas boiler and use it with underfloor heating, but the temperature keeps overshooting usually by 2C to uncomfortable level and Tado does not adapt to this
  • DM932187
    Options
    @joefish if you’re on oil and have a HW cylinder, you’ll likely not want to bring your flow temp down. Regardless of legionella, your HW probably won’t be hot enough for use and I suspect you don’t want condensation in your boiler heat exchanger due to corrosion risk.

Instead, you could try balancing down the radiators to ensure they don’t get too warm.

Good advice on balancing on heatgeek.com