Installing a new opentherm compatible boiler (veissman 050) with Tado on/off relay only controller?

Options

I currently have a tado system which is wireless thermostat+receiver, and smart TRVs on all radiators. Its a UK model so is (I have now found out after buying) is on/off control only.

My old combi boiler is needing replacement and my likely choice is a veissman 050w 30kw. There is an option with the installer to provide a wireless thermostat with it, or to connect up my current one - different cost for each option.

As the Tado is on/off only and I’d like to let the boiler modulate the flow temperature based on weather compensation etc - is this something I can do with Tado?

eg:

• keep the wireless bridge and wireless thermostat, along with all smart TRVs
  • remove the zone control element for each TRV and smart thermostat so they can hopefully still be monitored in the app, and open/close based on target temperatures during the day - effectively just acting as independent smart TRVs?
  • Use the included wireless thermostat in one of the rooms to handle overall boiler control. Would be open to suggestions where this should be placed as obviously if all rooms are at temperature I’d not want the boiler running. Living room likely the main room to be accurate - bedrooms can be cooler if needed.

Anyone running a Tado system alongside a separate thermostat with flow temp modulating boiler?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    If you’re going to use weather compensation then you could use the Tado trvs purely as room thermostats, set to independent but fully open, but keep the wireless receiver on relay so you can still use geofencing. It sounds like if the boiler’s being supplied with a thermostat that isn’t weather compensation though, usually that requires an outdoor sensor and doesn’t have a thermostat.

The other option would be to get a Tado wired thermostat or eu wireless receiver, which both have digital connections and could tell the boiler to modulate its output (assuming it has Opentherm/ebus support).
  • mrklaw
    Options

are EU receivers like for like - just have the opentherm connections? And does that do anything for warranty?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes, exactly the same apart from the digital connections, no warranty issues.
  • mrklaw
    mrklaw
    edited October 2022
    Options

so literally one day after this post, heatgeek on youtube had a guy on from Tado and they said they’re starting selling the modulating wireless receiver in the UK again but only through their pro installer website (anyone can buy it). Nothing said about a trade in option but better than nothing?

edit: https://uk.installers-shop.tado.com/products/wireless-smart-thermostat-starter-kit-v3-eu-version lol looks like they’re just putting the EU version up in the UK - even comes with an EU plug hard wired. And £170 :/

• Kissarmy
    Options
    Shame there is no trade in option but at least you can buy just the wireless receiver for combi boilers if you already have the non opentherm UK starter kit. That is £76 and is in stock.