Moving from Heatmiser to Tado across UFH and CH/HW -is eBUS possible ?

Options
hampers
hampers
edited October 2022 in General Questions & Topics

Hi,

My Heatmiser UH1 wiring centre and one of the 12v stats has some electrical faults and rather than replace the UH1 (discontinued, so quite expensive) and the stat I'm looking at Tado as I quite like the functionality and am looking at getting some radiator stats and some new Salus actuators which are not compatible with Heatmiser either.

I also quite like the idea of my Vaillant Ecotec Plus 637 Boiler being controlled by eBUS as currently the wiring is old school on/off 230v.

I believe I can move to Tado using new the mains capable cabling I also installed in the thermostat back boxes and planned to move to the UH4 wiring centre (mains) as these are super cheap and supported by Tado, so the actual cost of moving will be lower than replacing the UH1 and the Heatmiser stat.

However - I can't get a clear understanding of how ebus works from the UH4/Heatmiser and Tado don't seem to be able to answer this after 4-5 tries "yes we support ebus" - isn't the same as "will ebus work with UFH and a boiler/HW cylinder".

Is anyone able to confirm if I'm wasting my time trying to get CH, HW and UFH working with eBUS and it would only work with a "conventional" CH and HW system.

If it didn't work/isn't supported like this (which I think seems likely) - is it possible to wire the Tado for HW and CH via eBUS with the Heatmiser using "conventional" controls boiler wiring and in the summer when the underfloor isn't in use revert to eBUS by disconnecting/disabling the "conventional" wiring.

I guess this probably boils down to whether a Vaillant boiler can have eBUS and mains wiring or if the Tado system can be wired up to allow for this?

Many thanks

Comments

• starconf
    Options

Hi @hampers

It looks like you have a hot water cylinder, and I think the problem you'll have with eBus is the HW. There will probably be a valve wired into the UH1 wiring centre that controls the water flow to your hot water cylinder, and unfortunately this can't be controlled using eBus. If you have a combi boiler without a hot water cylinder the rest is possible and would require disconnecting the "conventional" relay connection between the boiler and the wiring centre. Instead you would connect the boiler directly to a smart thermostat using the eBus connections and set that thermostat as the zone controller for all the other smart thermostats.

• hampers
    Options

Thanks @starconf - I guess this is why the wording says eBUS for Combi - just a shame it's not clearer. I guess I'll give up with this now.. Thanks for replying.