Smart TRV Questions

Options

Hi,

Apologies if any of my questions have been answered, but I was unsure how to find them and what terms to use!

I'm about to get the VR3+ starter kit installed, and am looking to get smart TRV's added to further increase my saving capablities. My plan is to get one in each bedroom and one in the living room.

If I set the temperature to be say 18 degrees during the night in one specific room (16 month olds room is my priority to keep warm), once the temperature drops below the 18 degrees, will the boiler fire up and only heat that room? Would the other rooms only switch on when they get below the desired temperature also? For instance, I will have no need to heat the living room whilst we are all sleeping, so my assumption is that I'd at least save the cost of gas for that room over the night. I'd probably set the other bedrooms slightly lower so that they only start heating once below 16 degrees or so.

Can anyone confirm my understanding here is correct? If so, I think I could save a considerable amount over the winter period as we are heavy gas users clocking in at about 45 kwh per year, so I'm really needing to make savings for when the price cap finishes!

Comments

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

The smart TRVs have two modes of operation. They can activate the boiler by making a request to the Zone Controller, or they are Independent. When assigned as Independent the valve opens and closes, but does not turn the boiler on (bit like a regular TRV).

As an example you could have the smart TRV in the baby's room assigned to a zone controller so it can request the boiler to start and maintain a fairly constant room temperature. In another bedroom you could have the smart TRV assigned as Independent so it will not request heat. If this bedroom's temperature drops below the scheduled temperature its valve will open and the radiator will heat up if/when the baby's room calls for heat.

Any rooms without a TRV will heat whenever the boiler turns on. If you have a smart TRV in the living room you can schedule a low temperature during the night so the room will not heat when the baby's room is heating.

Note that the smart TRVs can be a little noisy when the valve opens/closes. The level of noise varies, some radiator have a tendency to vibrate on their mountings.

• IslaView
    Options

Sounds like I can configure them to fit my needs then. Thanks for that!

As for noise, all my kids can sleep through a bomb, so that's the least of my worries!

• wateroakley
    Options

@IslaView your desired mode of operation is how our family member uses the system to keep their children’s rooms warm overnight, setting the bedroom schedule to 18 deg C from 10pm to 6am. This has avoided their young children getting cold and disturbing the parents at 4am.