Radiators only heating when hall radiator is on

Options

i have searched this topic and it appears it has been discussed before but I am still confused how to fix it. We have the extension kit (in kitchen) a wired thermostat in the hall and individual valves on each radiator eg in living room, bedrooms etc. currently the rooms will not heat up unless the hall radiator is on (wired smart thermostat). I have all rooms with heating zone set to zone controller (extension kit) but they won’t come on unless the hall is on. I THINK there is a setting we can use on the wired thermostat to change this but I don’t know what that is. Someone on a previous thread said you can get tado to update your settings but someone else said you can do it yourself but I don’t know what setting to change. Can anyone help me before my husband explodes!

Also if I click on hot water it show both the smart thermostat and the wireless receiver showing under devices - is this right?

grateful for any help you can give me but I am struggling so the simpler you can explain the better !

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Hot water is fine, should be showing both.

Do you have a combi or a system boiler (with hot water cylinder)? I’m assuming system.

Was your house divided into heating zones originally - do you have an upstairs thermostat or is it just the one in the hall?

As an interim measure you could try setting the zone controller on all the trvs to independent then back to the extension kit. Is there an option to set the wired thermostat as zone controller too? You could also try setting that as zone controller and see if that makes a difference, though if the system is wired to a single zone then the zone controller should be the extension kit.

Assuming you have the older extension kit (with one led in the middle and one button) you could also check it’s set up correctly - follow the instructions in section 5 using your thermostat. It needs to be set for wireless setup, extension kit present, hot water control.

https://cdn.brandfolder.io/607DGEMS/as/fn5jmx6wp7tk6t3rmzb79mw7/Extension_Kit_Manual_-_230V_Relay_Installations.pdf
  • allywill
    Options

It’s a system boiler with a hot water cylinder. We only have a thermostat in the hall. I don’t know what you mean by zones. Each room is listed under rooms and devices (living room. Master bedroom etc) plus it also has hall which is the smart thermostat and hot water. The extension kit (which I think is the one in the kitchen has 5 lights (2nd pic) and the thermostat has one button (first pic). Thanks for the link. I think (if I,m understanding correctly) we need to change the thermostat to TS it’s currently showing R01.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    That’s the wireless receiver. The extension kit is the older version. You’re right though, the thermostat should be showing TS so set it for that.

Instructions for the wireless receiver here. Look at section 6. You need to set it for s plan and y plan (green led) https://cdn.brandfolder.io/607DGEMS/as/tqh86npbjjhws5gwkxfncbfh/104172-DIGITAL-WRP01IB01-INSTALLER_MANUAL-TA-UK-00-V2.pdf
  • allywill
    Options

So do I still set the thermostat for extension kit present?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes, give it a go, the wireless receiver does the same thing as the extension kit, just been renamed.
  • allywill
    Options

Thank you so much for your help. Really really appreciated.

• wbjohn
    Options

On the app go into the settings area

Select Rooms & Devices

Select one of your rooms - at the bottom is an option Heating Zone & zone controller

if you select this you will have 2 options 1 is the reference to your controller and the other is No zone controller.

If you select the controller then when you call for heat for that room it will start the boiler and if you select No zone controller if you call for heat nothing will happen.

So as an example I have my bathroom temperature set at 22 degrees all day and 18 all night but if it gets cold in the bathroom it does not turn the boiler on. If i turn the heating up in the lounge as the TRV is open in the bathroom the radiator heats up. My reasoning the rad in bathroom is small so will not take much to heat up and if heat called in another room it will heat up the bathroom at the same time.

This option historically was controlled by Tado and required a call/ message to the helpdesk.