Is the V3+ compatible with Vaillant EcoTec Plus 831?

Options
I have a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 831 combi boiler. It is currently connected to a Drayton Digital SCR wireless system with Drayton Digistat+1 RF thermostat. I can not find a definitive answer as to whether the Tado V3+ Black Edition Starter Kit is going to work with my boiler. I think I've been a bit overwhelmed by all the "S plan" and "Y plan" info I've been reading about. I'm probably over thinking it all and should just go ahead and buy it, but I believe you can't view the instructions for your specific boiler, until you've bought the kit and are about to install it? Is this correct? I'm also a bit confused as i watched a YT video and the guy said you only connect the heating to the Tado receiver and not the water. He also disconnected a "bridge" wire and used a supplied one. Would this apply to my boiler? Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks 😊

Best Answer

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    S plan and y plan are plumbing systems for system boilers with hot water cylinders, so unless that applies to you I wouldn’t worry about it. On a combi you do only connect the heating to Tado, the boiler controls the hot water output.

As you have a wireless thermostat you need the wireless starter kit, rather then the wired starter kit. You will get instructions for your boiler when you do the install.

Answers

• Ceejaydee
    Options
    Just to add... This is the kit I'm looking at - "Tado V3+ Black Edition Wireless Heating & Hot Water Smart Thermostat Starter Kit". There are 2 different versions, the other one doesn't include the programmer for hot water control. I'm not sure which one I need! Thanks
  • Ceejaydee
    Options
    @johnnyp78 Thank you for the advice. I was thinking I was on the right track, but just wasn't 100% confident I had got it all right. I'm looking at the Wireless Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3+ Black Edition, so will now purchase it , thanks to your advice mate. If anyone else reads this and are interested... at the minute the Kits are usually around £179, but Screwfix are selling the Black Edition ones for £99.99... which I think actually look slightly more modern and stylish than the white ones. I will also purchase the Smart Radiator TRV's next, although I need 8 of them 😬, but I think the overall upfront cost will outweigh the ongoing cost in a short time, especially with energy prices at present!!!
    Thanks again @johnnyp78, Top Man 👍🏼👌🏼😎
  • Ceejaydee
    Ceejaydee
    edited October 2022
    Options
    My old Drayton Digistat SCR had 2 earth wires connected inside it. Do I need to connect these in my new tado receiver or do I just use the wago on them and leave them? Thanks.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    You should receive instructions from Tado. See what they say first.
  • Ceejaydee
    Ceejaydee
    edited October 2022
    Options
    It doesn't mention about connecting the earth wires, so I've connected them anyway, just to be on the safe side.... my thinking being 'if it needed earthing it's safe, if it didn't need to be earthed it won't cause any harm!'
  • Ceejaydee
    Ceejaydee
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I've managed to crack it now and all works great. It took a bit of Googling, YouTubing and common sense, but I did it in the end 😀. I've included a picture to show my wiring.