Wireless Thermostat UK - Opentherm

Options
Same old topic I know, but I can't make much sense of the previous discussions.

I have just purchased the wireless thermostat kit and 8 srvs, then I found out only the wired thermostat works with opentherm.

After googling opentherm and the potential benefits I now have three options:

1. Set up tado wireless stat and ignore opentherm benefits
2. Go back into the market and find another ecosystem that does it all (and probably fail)
3. Try and hack the system is EU extenders etc.

Is opentherm worth it for the hassle? If it is, is there a ecosystem that does it all? Or how easy is it to hack the system so I can use with my wireless stat opentherm?

Would it be easier to just install the wired stat (I currently have a wireless EPH stat)

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I haven’t seen the pcb inside the uk wireless receiver but I would think given it has no Opentherm connections, there’s no digital connection hardware there to hack. Could be wrong though.

Opentherm is good, depends whether you think the hassle of buying more equipment is worth it. You can get used extension kits on eBay, or use a new eu wireless receiver or a wired thermostat.

I don’t know what an ecosystem that does it all is.
  • Jaz666
    Options
    I was in the same situation when I installed a Wireless Kit in my new house in the late Spring.
    As it happens I had also purchased an extra Wired Thermostat with idea of trying to control the expensive to run Electric Underfloor Heating we have in one room.
    I noticed it had the digital outputs (this was before reading all the topics on OpenTherm in the UK here) that the wireless receiver was missing, so wired it up, changed the Zone Controller for all rooms, and have had OpenTherm control ever since.

I did find I still needed to power the original wireless receiver for the system to work.
  • darksky
    Options
    I have been told by tado it can be done, if I buy the wired thermostat and the wireless temperature sensor add on, however they won't tell me how to do it haha!

I am assuming we need to set up the wired sensor to the boiler, and then use the add on sensor as the thermostat in the hallway.

@Jaz666 how come you still needed the wireless receiver?