A little more info about the upcoming(?) new network bridge please?

Options

Being one of the many that have range issues, I've been reading through the posts on the topic & have seen a couple of mentions from @Rob about (I think) a new bridge in development that will allow multiple home setups, and in a post it was suggested that this would let you have more than one in the same house.

I would assume that you're going to have to be able to tell them that they're in the same house, as they'll be working with the same extension kit, be subject to the same geofencing / scheduling rules, etc., and will hopefully 'just' be another device in the app.

Can anyone from Tado confirm that this will be the case please?

Given that it's been mentioned in this forum, I would assume that it would be past the point where initial design discussions covering points like these would have been had.

With winter approaching I really need to know whether to keep holding on to the Tado kit or finally throw it away. It's been 3 years since we moved to this house, found that there's nowhere to put the bridge where it can reach all of the TRVs, and discovered that loads of people were reporting the same issue.

I think 3 years is giving Tado a 'fair go'. If the new bridges aren't going to be able to form a community serving all devices in the same house it's time for me to jump I'm afraid. If they are, I'm "happy" to hang around for them to arrive.

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    I honestly think that you will have to wait for the next generation of tado° devices to be released (this year/next year/whenever)...... who knows.
  • ronan
    Options
    Hi there, I'm researching tado for my application, so you can only have one bridge innthe house? It's impossible to have 2?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Yup, possibly Tado’s biggest limitation.
  • Rob
    Rob | Admin
    Options

I've been reading through the posts on the topic & have seen a couple of mentions from @Rob about (I think) a new bridge in development that will allow multiple home setups, and in a post it was suggested that this would let you have more than one in the same house.

This is not what I wrote, although I get where you're coming from.

• As most similar companies wanting to stay in business, we are certainly developing new hardware. Short term and long term. When developing new hardware, you always take the strengths and weaknesses of the current hardware into account. The range of the current bridge is, although perfectly fine for the vast majority of users, an actual problem for a small but significant subset of our customers. However, except for the hardware that has been officially announced (see: black ST, basic SRT) we cannot give details about upcoming hardware.
    • Others customers on this forum have correctly observed that the tado company name has been featured on the Thread and Matter websites.
    • Additionally, we are always developing new features for the app. One of the sources we use for prioritisation is this forum. The multi-home feature is a frequently requested feature, both in the forum but also elsewhere. As with new hardware, I cannot comment on unannounced new features though.

You'll notice that the above is a bit vague. My hands are bound in that regard.

@ronan

1 bridge per tado account. Which is perfectly adequate for most, and not sufficient for some. Just try it in your own home. Assuming you have an "average" home, I'm 99% sure it will work for you. If it does not work for you, return it to where you bought it within the set number of days in which you can return purchases.

• Davelong0
    Options

Why not run one bridge from the app and the other through a web browser. The web browser works exactly like the app. You cannot run two setups with the web browser although if you istalled another browser on your phone (eg Opera) you could use one for each.

You could of course sign out of one system (on the app) and then back into the other but this is extremely tedious.

• Hi @Rob

Mainly I was referring to this in conjunction with another comment more specifically regarding bridges (that I can't track down at the moment):

Rob | Admin

September 2021

1. Develop ...
    2. Copy and Paste ...
    3. Launch a range extender or upgrade to mesh network
    4. ...

Number 3 is being worked on in two ways. We improved the range of the existing hardware with better firmware this summer. This is promising, but the potential improvement is not huge. Secondly, we are working on future generations of hardware where we intent to take a huge leap forward.

@Davelong0 - So one extension kit can work with two bridges as things currently stand?

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Every Tado installation is limited to one extension kit/wireless receiver, one bridge.
  • ronan
    Options

@Rob thanks Rob , if Tado was setup and compatible with the new standard MATTER maybe it could run on a mesh style network like zigbee or whatever.

No need for Tado to reinvent the wheel if someone else is doing it!

• Chenks76
    Options

tado has their logo on the matter website as a "participant"

https://csa-iot.org/members/participants/

• SvenBering
    Options
    I need to know what to put on my wish list for the coming season.

I hope news will come soon.

Btw I for one had my range problems solved with the firmware update, but I very much look forward to news of Matter support and product range
  • I am seeing a significant increase in ads popping up in the UK as we enter the central heating season - Tado is spending a lot on marketing it seems. There's going to be a lot of people searching these forums for answers to the same common problems with connection issues in the coming months and it's going to make interesting reading when they see that almost nothing has been done to solve it.

Don't get me wrong - the system is almost great but it's infuriating that some TRVs can never quite get in range of the bridge (yes, yes I've tried moving it around and it just causes other devices to go out of range) and as a result the battery life is ridiculously low.

@Chenks76

>>tado has their logo on the matter website as a "participant"

That does not mean much - for existing devices, unless using Wifi or BLE, participants will be adding matter support to their existing bridges at most. Tado devices appear to use 868MHz 6LoWPAN protocol (https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3557440-how-does-the-tado-internet-bridge-communicate-with-other-tado-devices) so in theory they could bring native Matter support (and potentially incorporate mesh) to the individual Tado wireless devices (namely TRVs) with a firmware update - but I'm not confident based on their current form and likely it will be with entirely new devices at additional cost.

@Rob - if multi-home is supported before a single home range extender or mesh then that says a lot about what the company is actually listening to from its customers.

Also if new hardware is going to require your early adopters to replace what they've already bought then there will be a lot of angry people here! It's central heating devices not mobile phones and games consoles!

• Chenks76
    Options

i suspect matter support will be added to existing hardware via firmware updates - similar to how almost everyone else is doing it - even Apple!