Why did Tado remove Opentherm from UK receivers?

Very simple question aimed at Todo. Why did you stop selling Opentherm in the UK?
Why don't you make Opentherm an option?
Are the Receivers/extensions ordered from the Ireland shop still Opentherm, the images on the page are UK spec non Opentherm from what I can tell.
Thanks

Answers

• if you buy an EU model then it still has the support for it.

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Because Tado listened to some luddite uk installers who fed back to them that Opentherm was far too complicated as no one wanted it... sigh
  • gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling it's down to complaints on not being able to maintain a constant temperature as Tado tries to run the boiler at 35oC when it reaches its set point. I think it's a consequence of many boilers being far too over sized, not being able to ramp down to a low kw output and many radiators being far too undersized and people zoning every room.

It's a perfect storm for disappointment if your minimum boiler output is 10kw, but you only need 1kw and you're asking the boiler to output 35oC. Time to start the anti-cycling Olympics.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Surely they would also have removed it from the eu model if that were the case? And the wired thermostat. Pretty certain it was down to uk installers telling Tado they only know how to wire relay and Opentherm confused customers, and also hot water cylinders being more common in the UK.
  • Just watched a new uploaded YouTube video sponsored by Tado and he states the wireless version supports OT, anyone confirm this ?

• Can you post a link to it? The EU wireless receiver does support opentherm so it’s probably referring to that.
  • Thanms all. Would be great if someone from Tado would confirm about the EU receiver.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    The EU receiver has Opentherm. As to whether they’re sold in Ireland, good question. This is the EU version from the Irish shop but it’s currently sold out. https://ie.shop.tado.com/products/wireless-smart-thermostat-starter-kit-v3-eu-version

The add on wired receiver sold in the Irish shop doesn’t have digital connections though. Bizarre.

https://ie.shop.tado.com/products/wireless-receiver

You can also buy it from the uk installers shop https://uk.installers-shop.tado.com/products/wireless-smart-thermostat-starter-kit-v3-eu-version but everywhere sold out now. Maybe that means a new version’s coming.
  • The video in question is by Paul Hibbert.

There has been some discussion about the lack of OpenTherm in the UK models in the comments. The Wireless receiver he installs in the video is different to mine. My non OpenTherm model has one continuous terminal connector strip, whereas his has it broken into 4 sections.

This morning Paul has commented that he's reached out to Tado, and they say they have started to sell OpenTherm units again now in the UK.

I've suggested that this maybe why Screwfix are selling the cheaper starter kit with the Black Thermostat. I believe I've read here that someone has confirmed those units still don't support OpenTherm?
  • @Jaz666 do you have any more information on where is selling the opentherm compatible units please?
  • I an sceptical regarding anyone who receives a "contradictory" comment from tado°

If tado° have actually made an OT UK version available to UK customers.......then why have they not "shouted" out about it.........there have been many, many comments/ requests about this in the Community Forum.

And tado° are well known for comments by a tado° employee that contradict comments made by other tado° staff members.

So.......can I ask for a comment from tado° in this thread........??🤔

• Yes the situation is entirely unclear. The Paul Hibbert video - seems he got sent his device for free so could have been the EU version which if so is very misleading to UK users.

@Rob @tado_mod how about some clarification PLEASE!!!
  • Robti
    Robti
    edited October 2022

So much confusion about regarding this, I was ready to drop Tado and go elsewhere after the different answers re OT, then Paul’s video pops up with OT being shown on the Tado but nothing official that I can see, hope it gets sorted soon or I know 2 potential customers going elsewhere, all for want if an official statement

• Communication is a wonderful concept.........

• It seems to me the simple truth of its withdrawal is that as most UK consumers would complain if their flow temp dropped below scalding, Brits know best and all, Tado decided we were simply not worth the bother. It's also true that UK installers generally have little to no idea about different controls, how they work and how to install.

However, the positive news is that as we currently stand awareness of the dual benefits of modulated flow temps (cost & environment) is rising; we may even be at 1%! When it reaches, I'm guessing, 99.9% Tado may finally get off their high horse and reinstate... #Don'tHoldYourBreath. They sure as hell haven't previously demonstrated a penchant for listening so are unlikely to now.

Meanwhile, if anyone has customers who would benefit from said modulation, then I suggest you look at the best of this shower we call a 'controls industry' - EPH. They include PDHW kit too.

• Just seen in the uk that toolstation have a wired starter kit labelled as new and in one of the photos you can just make out the OT connection on the right of the thermostat connector strip

• The wired thermostat has always had digital connections. The uk wireless receiver doesn’t have them.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    @Jaz666 just had a look at the video. He’s been given an eu wireless receiver. These could be bought in the UK (though seem to have sold out at the moment) from the Tado professional shop but for a higher price than the uk wireless starter kit.

Edit I see he’s helpfully posted a link to the eu wireless receiver add on. @danlightbulb still in stock here https://uk.installers-shop.tado.com/products/add-on-wireless-receiver-for-combi-boilers
  • I’m guessing Tado labelling the wireless receiver with Opentherm as ‘for combi boilers’ rather than ‘eu version’ could mean they’re planning to start selling it more widely in the uk. Emphasis on could.
  • danlightbulb
    edited October 2022
    Ok so he posted 2 links one to a full kit which is already sold out (wtf??) and one to an add on receiver at £77. If I buy the Screwfix black starter kit at £100 and the separate wireless receiver from tado that will come to £177 but will they be compatible?

Also it's not actually opentherm I want but Worcester Bosch EMS. can I assume the EMS protocol is still supported on this latest device?
  • No you can't, I've told you already you need to contact Tado support to check. No problems with compatibility, they're effectively the same device.

• Yeah I did that and it's compatible with my boiler EMS, just checking nothing had changed.
  • If Tado support say it’s fine, all is good.
  • The answer to why it got removed:

From our data, from all installed extension kits in the UK, only a small fraction was using any digital connection.

By removing it, the complexity of the UK dual channel receiver could be reduced, which also has some benefits for people installing to System Boilers (S-Plan, Y-Plan)

The good thing is that you can buy the EU wireless kit that still supports it, for the people that want to optimise their combi-boilers by making sure to install to the digital modulating control of that boiler.

• What does opentherm do? And with a condensing boiler (- older WB model 42CDI) is there any advantage.

Tado always overshoots the set temp by a degree or more. I understood this is to avoid boiler turning on and off (modulating?). Wonder though if opentherm is something that helps with this?

thanks to anyone who can explain!

James

• "By removing it, the complexity of the UK dual channel receiver could be reduced, which also has some benefits for people installing to System Boilers (S-Plan, Y-Plan)"

but then you have to produce and support 2 different models, so any cost savings you might have had in removing functions from a device for a particular market are undone by having to support and manufacture that second device.

• @jamese8 turning the boiler on and off is cycling. Modulating is when it alters the temperature output and pump speed, so rather than just firing the boiler at its maximum temperature, it can taper down as the thermostat approaches target temperature.

At the moment Tado is overshooting on modulating connections too so I would suggest it’s an issue with their algorithm. When it works it does tend to have less of an overshoot than relay systems.
  • Thanks for that. Learning…😬

Have switched combi to modulating. Hope overshoot improves.
  • And yes agree re algorithm. Doesn’t seem to learn room or house characteristics re insulation, rads etc and effect on overshoot etc