Considering Tado - EU or UK version for EMS control

Options
2»

Comments

• alexbusu63
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Hi to all!
    Finally I have decided to buy an UK starter kit V3+ , and in addition an Extention Kit Wireless Receiver, thus to be able to use on my boiler Vaillant ecotec pro 28 the e-bus modulation…and after installing the bridge and the wireless thermostat, I get stuck on wiring and how to power the Extention Kit…I have started a chat with the Tado’s advisors (here it was like a between deafs talkingand finally I thanked and give up), I tried to use the instructions either from the app and from the professional tado app, but I couldn’t get the info I needed, apart from saying that is needed to connect the 2 wires to the +&-, same on the boiler’s ebus conector and on the receiver’s one. So my inquiries are following:
    -those 2 wire, + and -, are the only ones to be connected between my boiler and the receiver, logically I presume that will be need to connect the L and N to 220v on the receiver, but nowhere I found specifically mentioned this.
    -the second unanswered inquiry is what I should do with the old connection from the boiler to the previous installed controler for the boiler, a HonneyWell Home (wich worked in a relay mod,with a L and N connected from an 220v output in the boiler), so how and where should I put bridges on their connections and if it is
    right and necessary to do so.
    Thank you in advance for any kind answer received in this matter!
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Completely remove the wiring for the old controller. If your boiler has a timer circuit that may need to be bridged, if the timer is still there you may be able to set it to permanently on.

Ebus is a powered circuit on some models so you may not need a separate power source. If you do you can wire an external plug to the extension kit or take power from the boiler’s fused spur.
  • Thank you again Johnnyp’78!
    My boiler is not having a timer, so in case I’ll disconnect the relay’s wires going from it to the former controller outside, should I put a bridge instead in their place or leave it open?…
    And I understand that first I’ll connect the +and - both ways,same in boiler and receiver, and if it is not firing the wireless receiver I’ll use the L and N connection used formally by the previous controller?
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Digital connections should be polarity free but there’s no harm in connecting + and - the same way, especially if they’re carrying power too. Can’t tell you about the relay bridge, you may or may not need to do it. Check your boiler’s manual. If no power take L and N as you said.
  • Thank you, I’ll do it in this way and I’ll leave a notice here about how it works
  • alexbusu63
    Options
    Hi!…I have finally installed an add on receiver, with ebus connections, previously having removed the wiring for former controller wich was working in a relay mode.
    I have paired this wireless receiver, this one being now integrated in the home’s Tado system, but when I tried to check if it working and command the boiler by increasing to max the asking temperature in the app , the boiler didn’t responded.
    My inquiry in this situation would be if I would have to bridge the connections in the boiler used in relay mod to Com and NO by the former controler, or there is other kind of issue?
    Thanks in advance for any answer!
  • alexbusu63
    Options
    And another problem I have spotted now is that wnen asking for hot water from the tap, the boiler is not delivering hot water more than 39 degree, despite the boiler setting for HW is 55 degrees…any ideas what is about?
  • alexbusu63
    Options
    Ok, finally I have figured what should be done, and I have put a bridge in the boiler’s connections previously used for relay command, and on restarting the central heating started. For the hot water I have changed in the app this section to always on at 54 degrees, and after that when I checked, if works, surprise!...I’m not sure if this was the problem, becouse I have a combi boiler , and not a separate source for hot water, but probably by e-bus connection and with this add on wireless receiver, this is what it should be done as a setting to
    have hot water…as I mentioned, I’m not sure if this was the reson why in first time the boiler it didn’t worked to produce hot water!
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    On my ideal boiler when you turn the hot water off in the app it defaults to the boiler setting, but sounds like on yours it simply turns off the hot water. Sounds like everything’s working as it should be at least.
  • alexbusu63
    Options
    Yes , this way I understand and myself that is working my boiler on ebus the hot water control …I had big emotions do it by myself the install and all required connection,and thanks God every thing is now ok…maybe that my wife’s Iphone is not seeing as being at home despite I have checked their settings for geofencing, and all is how it should be …but I’ll see that problem on folowing days, now I’ll focus on installing the STRVs…thank you again Johnnp78 for your support!