Using Tado smart radiator valves with conventional hall thermostat and heating timer

Options

We have an old farmhouse with about 20 radiators fed from a gas boiler on a timer with a single wired thermostat in the hall (I did not arrange it that way :-)). For most purposes we are happy sticking to the timer and thermostat. There are also thermostatic valves on each radiator so rooms we don't use have their heat on frost load only.

I would like to be able to set four radiators (three in one room and one in another) to come on in the evening but not the morning. The Tado smart radiator valves look as if they could do the job. My concern is if the thermostat in the hall is not calling for heat then when the Tado valves try to turn on the radiators in the evening it may confuse their programming. However wide they open it will not change the temperature in the room. Can they cope with this or would I need to swap to their smart thermostat as well?

Best Answer

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Tado smart radiator valves are designed to work independently of a boiler if required. For instance some homes in a city will be on a district heating system where residents have hot water piped to their home, but have no control over the central boiler. In this mode the smart TRVs will limit the maximum room temperature, but won't be able to maintain a minimum temperature.

It sounds like you have a bigger property so just be aware that you cannot locate the smart valves too far from the hub/bridge attached to your internet router.

Answers

• ICLlP
    Options

I think you would need the smart thermostat as well.

• AllanMac
    Options

Thanks both. My main network hub is too far from the rooms I want to use the system in but I have wired network switches with free ports in both rooms so should be OK.