Dose TRV call for heat? Even when heat is not needed in the room where the thermostat is located?

Options
I plan to upgrade to smart heating but like to be sure if it can work like this, before i buy.

I control a pump (brings hot water into my radiators)

In my living room i have 3 radiators and a wired thermostat. My plan is to instal a smart wired thermostat and smart trv in the living room and smart trv in all other rooms.
My question is, if i set the thermostat (which controls the heating pump) to 22c° and it is 23c° beacuse of cooking, sun or what ever, and any other room needs heat. Will the trv from that room, triger the thermostat and turn on my pump even when its not needed in the living room (where the thermostat is located)?
And will the radiators in the living room stay cold because of the smart trvs in the living room?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes, that’s correct, but I would check whether Tado is compatible with your heat pump. Some of them work better with weather compensation because of the low heat output temperatures.
  • dkatava13
    Options
    Thank you for the answare.
    One more questio :)
    If i change the themp. on he thermostat, will it change on the 3 trvs in the same room too?

About the pump, it is a normal grundfos heating pump, the thermostat just needs to open or close the contacts. If the thermostat is working like a tyoical thermostat (com/nc/no) that works for sure.
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

It depends how you configure the system. The wired thermostat in your living room will be the Zone Controller. The smart TRVs can request the Zone Controller to switch on the pump, or they can be configured as Independent. In Independent mode a TRV will not make requests to the Zone Controller, but will simply open/close its valve according to the room temperature and schedule.

If you group the living room TRVs and the wired thermostat into the same room in the app, then the wired thermostat will be the only temperature sensor in the room. The TRVs will open and close to maintain the desired room temperature. The other rooms can request heat from the Zone Controller without overheating the living room.

More information on how Zone Controllers can be configured.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Sounds like it would be ok if you wire it in relay then. As long as there’s a zone controller linked to the pump (which I think in your case would be the wired thermo), you can use either the thermostat, the trv or the app to call for heat in that room. Normally the thermostat is set to be the temperature measuring device because it gives a more accurate reading than the trvs.

Are there any other valves between the pump and the radiators? If so you’d need to have some means of controlling these too.
  • dkatava13
    Options
    So i need to set my TRVs to controle the Zone controler (in my case the wired thermostat) so when there is a room that needs heat the TRV gives the signal to the wired thermostat to turn on the pump. (Yes RELAY mode is what i need) And where heat is not needed the TRV will stay closed.

Thank you all!! I didnt expact answares so fast and so detailed. Now i can place my order and be sure it works like i want it.