Upstairs Zone adding valves

Options

Looking for some help from the community as after a week I still don't have a straight answer from support.

I am looking to add radiator valves to my upstairs zone however my Wired Smart Thermostat is not showing as a zone controller its independent.

(I have a separate wireless starter kit with hot water downstairs - this zones fine).

My heating is S Plan and this replaced a Siemens wired thermostat - I followed the online instructions but this tries to take me back to replacing the original, which is long gone. 

Is it possible to set the wired Tado to a Zone Controller, operating in the same manner as it does now but then add radiator valves gradually over the coming months ?

Support created me an upstairs zone, however if I try to add the Wired smart thermostat to it as the controller I get an error. So I am not sure if I buy radiator valves if they will be able to call for heat when connected to the "new" zone.

If it helps the error is zoneHasRuCircuitDriver

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options

A few questions.

1) Before you installed Tado did you have two thermostats controlling two heating zones?

2) If you did have two thermostats was it possible to heat either zone independently? E.g. heat the upstairs without heating the downstairs?

3) With two Tado thermostats installed are you able to heat either zone independently?

4) Do you have any other non-Tado programmers/controllers wired to the heating system?

• GlenUK
    Options
    So

Yes
    Yes
    Yes (well I was... support changes yesterday mean I now can't heat upstairs as zone valve isn't triggered. but should get that reverted shortly).
    No
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

Based on your answers it appears you have a standard 2 zone setup and should be able to add smart radiator thermostats to either zone. Not sure why customer support cannot get your configuration right, it's a text book setup for UK homes. You'll have to persevere with them, unfortunately you might not get a response until Monday morning.

Ultimately you should end up with 2 Zone Controllers. The wired thermostat will be its own zone controller and the wireless thermostat will use the wireless receiver as a zone controller.

• GlenUK
    Options
    Thanks.. Yeah thats what they seem to struggle with. The wired thermostat is independant, they added the zone but I try to add the thermostat to that zone it errors.

I was thinking they would have "converted" the thermostat to a zone if that makes sense
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    I don’t know what that error means but it sounds like the wired thermostat is misconfigured. Have you tried removing it and adding it again? No idea why Tado support can’t help with this, it sounds fairly straightforward.
  • GlenUK
    Options

Thanks - yes I just tried the remove readd and no dice.

TADO wrote back to say they have reverted the config , now the new "room zone" has gone but the thermostat still wont trigger the boiler so obviously not full reverted. I can see on the graph the stat is calling for heat, but the boiler/extension kit doesn't fire like it used to. I have a feeling its now thinking its wireless and it shouldnt be.

• GlenUK
    Options

Ok I take that back !

This worked.

Remove, remove battery, power off boiler at wall.

Batteries back in, attached back to wall, power on boiler.

Create new room and change zone from extension kit to Independent.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Are you sure you’re the thermostat can call for heat from the boiler if it’s set to independent? If it can then great, leave it like that.
  • GlenUK
    Options
    Yes as we had two complete hard wired stats before.. Seem to replicate that..