Zoning

Options

Hi peeps,

I have a combi boiler that has no hot water tank and no external thermostat or programmer/controller, currently.

I ordered the EU version of the wireless starter kit so that I can use the OpenTherm protocol and plan on installing the Tado Smart TRV’s on all rads.

In Ireland, there is a government grant for Heating Controls that I’d like to avail of to reduce my overall costs.

Amongst other criteria, the grant specifies that there must be at least two zones installed to qualify. It is therefore not clear to me whether they would accept my Tado setup.

I believe two zones might be possible by purchasing an extra wired smart thermostat and hard wiring it into one zone valve. However, my understanding is that this setup would not be possible with OpenTherm?

Can anyone shed some light how I might satisfy the grant zoning requirements with my setup? I’m at the limits of my understanding here and out of my confort zone (pun intended :)).

Thanks

Steve

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m not familiar with the intricacies of Irish funding, but I don’t see any reason why Tado wouldn’t qualify. By using smart trvs on your rads, you’re effectively making each room a zone, not to mention energy saved by geofencing and boiler modulation.
  • iamsteoc
    iamsteoc
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thanks Johnny. That was my initial thinking, and why I went ahead with the purchase, but I couldn’t get a straight answer out of the grant department when I spoke with them today to double check.

I was therefore hoping to eliminate any ambiguity, as the grant would reduce the costs significantly, and I’d be silly to miss out on it.

A friend of mine suggested that the HW could potentially be considered a second zone but my (limited) understanding is that you don’t connect Tado up to HW with a combi that has no HW tank.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You’re correct. I suspect it’s referring to heating zones anyway.