Tado heating up while in away mode?

Options
Hey,
I've been using Tado only for two days and got a small question.

I have a Tado V3+ radiator thermostat and an active premium membership. I made a schedule that turns the radiator off overnight and switches to 15°C in the morning at 7am. I set it to heat my workroom to 21°C from 1:30pm to 5pm. I did set all time blocks to only be applied when I am home and I deactivated the early start feature.

Today I got home at 4pm, which successfully triggered the home mode and set the radiator to 21°C as expected. However, I noticed it being too warm already and checked the graph for my workroom thermostat. For some reason, it was set to 18.9°C from 1:30 pm until I got home at 4 pm. The graph clearly shows this whole period as AWAY where it should be set to the away temperature of 15°C. The 18.9°C aren't set anywhere and it was not a manual switch because nobody was home between 8 am and 4 pm.

Why did this happen? Did I do something wrong?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    How far away is your thermostat from the bridge? Sounds like it might be a connection issue.
  • MrInka
    Options
    Hey Johnny,
    About 10 meters around a corner but on the same floor. Shouldn't the graph show if there was a connection loss?
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

How far away from the home was the nearest occupant's phone? Pre-heat before arrival may be keeping your home warm in anticipation of your return home. You can turn this feature off or reduce it to ECO mode.

• MrInka
    MrInka
    edited September 2022
    Options
    This is actually interesting. My work is around 1000-1500 meters away, but at 11:30 am (two hours before the random heating started) I was passing my house by around 300 meters with my car but then drove about 40 km away to a meeting.

The heating started 2 hours later when the schedule changed.

Can I share Screenshots on here somehow?

Edit.

https://imgur.com/EvDsAnu.png
    https://imgur.com/YveYSvY.png
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

You can attach images using one of the icons at the bottom of the comment box.

A distance of 1.5km away from home is likely to trigger pre-heat often. By car you can travel that distance in a matter of minutes. As an example, when I'm about 25km from home my pre-heat will kick in when the home temperature drops to about 13°-14°C. I wouldn't have expected to pre-heat to start when you are 40km away, but as you travelled towards home it may have started.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You need to use the desktop version to attach images. @GrilledCheese2 pre-heat seems to have been replaced by early start on my app but sounds like it does much the same thing. However on my system with rads it starts ridiculously early, more than an hour, which may be what’s happening here.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    @MrInka you should get a blank section on the graph if there’s a connection loss.
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

Two different features @johnnyp78 Early Start is on the Home tab and is only active when someone is at home. Pre-heat Before Arrival is on the Away tab and is only active when the home is unoccupied.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Not on mine @GrilledCheese2. Just an early start option for home or away via the iOS app. Haven’t checked if it’s different on the web page.
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

I have both with the iOS app. I'm on the premium option if that makes a difference. Images attached for reference.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    That might be it in that case. Non premium users just get the early start option.
  • MrInka
    Options

Alright. Deactivated pre-heating while getting closer to home for now. I'll test what happens tomorrow. :)

I planned to use pre-heating for my girlfriend who usually arrives before me and works a couple of km away from home.

For me there are also two separate features. One is called early start, which sets the temperature to reach the target by the time the schedule changes, the other one preheats when I start driving towards my home.

I'll report back results, thank you guys