Problems mounting TADO thermostat, error code E4

Options

Hello,

Struggling to install the TADO radiator thermostats. I found the correct adapter but keep getting error code E4. You can see my original thermostat in the images below.

The pin is moving in and out just fine, I am out of luck and these are just not compatible?

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

Use a coin, or other metal object, to push the central pin in and out. It should move smoothly without too much resistance. E4 often means the pin has ceased up and the motor is unable to move it inwards the expected distance. It may just be moving a couple of millimetres, expect movement of about 5mm.

• LiTo
    Options

Thank you, I think it has more to do with the extention pin that I have to use with the adapter.

To recalibrate when the device shows the error code E4 do you really need to remove the batteries?

I would assume the calibration values are first stored to the device on successfull calibration? This is not explained clearly on the website.

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

Yes, removing the batteries will force the TRV to recalibrate. I assume the values are stored in the device, as it will operate without an internet connection.

• donizo
    Options

I had the same problem in Ireland. After sending a photo to tado, they came back with the answer that a replacement of my standard thermostat was not possible, because the pin of the valve was already pressed in when mounting the tado smart thermostat. Hence the possibility of further movement was too small. Judging by your photo this might be the same problem. My problem could not be solved as there was no M30x1.5 to M30x1.5 adapter to increase the distance. This was three years ago and the adapters might have changed in the meantime.

• LiTo
    Options
    Such an anticlimax.

I am looking at replacing the radiator valves now. Might reach out to Tado see what they recommend for Sweden. Something that would work without the adapter nonsense.
  • kristofrk
    Options

I have the same problem, but only with one radiator. I am not using an adapter, since the basic setup works for all other radiators of the same type. When mounting the smart thermostat, it calibrates, but never shuts off the radiator. When inserting a small coin (I have tried several different ones), I can shut off the radiators, but it doesn't heat anymore. The pin moves in and out, so it isn't stuck.