Away Mode - Has something changed?

Just back from holiday and as per previous practice over the years just manually shifted to Away Mode on departure only to find on return that the Lounge has run per schedule the whole week. No other room just that one. Two large rads controlled by wireless stat - what a waste! Any ideas please?

Comments

• @samd
    Are you an Android App user......the reason I ask is because there has been 2 App updates over about 10 or 12 days and sometimes an App update can have "unfortunate" repercussions to the operation of our tado° systems.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@GrayDav4276 I am indeed and thanks for that but do you think that could cause such an issue isolated to one room please? It came on again this evening in the Lounge (not on schedule) for about an hour around an hour after the schedule should start and then went off! I would normally start thinking about batteries in situ such as this but both rads were changed very recently. Crazy!

• @samd
    It does indeed sound strange that it's confined to one specific room......but I'm never really surprised when tado° does something completely unexpected (usually) after an App update.
    All I can suggest is reset the relevant device.....after removing/changing the batteries. It might also be a good idea to reboot your IB to see if you can get it sorted.
    You could also raise it with tado°Support.....and then take a really big breath while awaiting a response.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@GrayDav4276 Suspect Support wont help on this one! Rechecked both sets of rad batteries and then wireless stat and decided to replace. Put in fresh and it's now dead! Tried the old ones and another set - no joy. I always thought these things were either dead or alive but maybe something was amiss with the stat over the last few days, although still connecting, but causing the issues I mentioned. Hey Ho! Saves me having to test my lung capacity!

• @samd

So you think it's purely the Wireless Thermostat that's gone awol........I remember reading a couple of posts where users found a problem with the battery connectors.......might be worth a little look before replacing it.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@GrayDav4276 Your lead very helpful. Took it apart and tested voltage across all 3 batteries @ around 4.8v but still dead. Then put probes directly onto soldered joints and just by the act of pressing the solder, next test on the button and it's working again. Clearly a poor joint. I will remake the joints but stays in the garage till then!

BUT! Does that mean that my stat was in Home mode when last live; then died. I then changed to Away mode for holiday. It came back to life and stayed and ran in Home mode for a week? I would appreciate your thoughts please.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

@samd

Sounds to me that your Wireless Thermostat's battery contacts were "hovering" and sometimes close enough to connect, at times.

Once you have re-soldered the contacts you can give it a trial run to determine if that has cleared your issue.

Do you have another Wireless Thermostat that you could swap over to ascertain that it's purely that one rouge Stat.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@GrayDav4276 Yes I have a spare and it's been serving the Lounge with no issues for a couple of days.

I did not put is very well but do you believe a 'dead' wireless stat in Home mode (died in Home mode) could 'awaken' into an Away Mode and run its Home schedule? How else could this stat be the culprit for seven days of scheduled running in the lounge?

I am well aware I am labouring this issue - 'cos I wish to raise it with support eventually!

• @samd

Sometimes it's not possible to understand what effects a specific fault could actually look like 🤔

I wish you luck in getting a definite resolution/agreement with tado° Support..........🙏😎