Thermostat stopped working after turning off water stopcock

Options

Hi,

I've got a tado Wireless heating & hot water kit with 6 tado radiator valves. Everything was working perfectly until this weekend.

On Friday I was doing some painting so removed a radiator from the wall in one room to paint behind it - this radiator had a standard non-Tado thermostatic valve. To remove it from the wall I had to disconnect it and drain it. I then reconnected it, but it had a very slow leak from the pipe below the thermostatic valve after reconnecting it. I was away Saturday/Sunday so to be safe I turned off the water at the stopcock for 2 days to ensure I didn't come back to an issue.

I got back last night and turned the water back on. Unfortunately I no longer have hot water or heating.

On my boiler - a Worcester Greenstar 30RI Compact - a steady blue light is showing but the green pilot light is off. I understand that this means there is no fault with the boiler pressure etc but that thermostat is not calling for heat.

When I turn the boiler on or off with the app I hear a click at the thermostat, but this doesn't appear to be firing up the boiler.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @03carrd
    Turning off the mains water stopcock will have no effect on the radiator leak, which will have continued to deplete the water in your CH system.
    It's possible that your boiler will refuse to operate, if it has detected that your CH system water pressure is too low.
    Have you topped up your CH system via your boilers "fill loop".........just a thought.
  • 03carrd
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I wasn’t sure if turning off the water mains would stop the leak, but tried it to be safe… the leak was absolutely fine over the weekend - I wrapped some plumbers tape around the pipe then some toilet paper around the tape and the paper was moist but no water had fallen into the tray below over the 36 hours I was gone. So it is a very slow leak, and I doubt it would have depleted the CH system?

I wondered about boiler pressure but I can’t find my pressure gauge (there’s not one on the boiler itself or any of the pipes I can find nearby). I can’t find a filling loop to fill it either (I moved into the house with the boiler already in place so may not be here). So if pressure is the issue I may need a plumber - but I had read on a forum elsewhere that a blue static light indicates an issue with the thermostat rather than the boiler itself…

Any other suggestions?
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    I think you may need to get a qualified professional in to check your system over and provide a bit more information on your CH system setup.
  • 03carrd
    Options
    I’ve now managed to find my pressure gauge - which showed 0 bars - so you were right, the system had drained completely due to the leak. Have now managed to repressurise and everything seems to be fixed!

Thanks for your help
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

@03carrd

Glad to have been of assistance 👍