w.Intercom = i;What components do I need to make my Tado system fully smart? — tado° Community

What components do I need to make my Tado system fully smart?

I recent bought Tado Smart TRV starter + 4 smart TRVs. These work fine, in that I can schedule when they open the TRV and at what temperature. Mine is a single non-Zoned heating system, that still uses a manual Potterton EP3000 scheduler and an attached Honeywell "dial" thermostat to provide overall control of the boiler (Main Eco 30 combi). I believe I could replace this with a wired smart thermostat, as an effective upgrade to the existing scheduler/thermostat, and leave the TRVs to do their thing.

However, I would like to know whether the Tado receiver would be a better way of controlling my boiler. Can Tado Smart TRVs request the receiver to fire up the boiler if they need heat? Or will the receiver only work with (wireless) Smart Thermostats?

All advice gratefully received! Many thanks

Tim K

Best Answer

• Timbok28
    Timbok28
    Answer ✓

Update:

It's been a while since I was here. The solution I settled on was:

Wireless Receiver connected to the Main Combi boiler.

8 x TRVs, spread across 7 rooms.

2 x Wireless thermostats - one controlling 2 of the TRVs; another in the main living room controlling 1 TRV, but with a more accurate room temperature than the TRV is ever capable of because of its proximity to the radiator.

We got through last 2 winters with this arrangment. It generally works well.

Answers

• Andreplusplus
    Andreplusplus Volunteer Moderator

“Can Tado Smart TRVs request the receiver to fire up the boiler if they need heat?”

Yes.

• The smart valves communicate with a Zone Controller and request it to fire up the boiler. The wired thermostat and receiver are both zone controllers - you can use either to do what you need. If you’re happy with the location of your Honeywell thermostat then just buy a wired thermostat. If you want to reposition the thermostat then buy a wireless receiver and temperature sensor. The receiver replaces the EP3000.

You already have a bridge so you don’t need another starter kit, just buy add-on devices.

If you do upgrade you can choose whether each TRV works independently (as they do now), or request the boiler to provide heat.

• Thanks. That's very helpful.