Extension kit loses connection - sets boiler to 11😕

Options

My Tado has largely been working well since I installed it, however the Extension Kit connected to the boiler randomly loses connection in the middle of the night - and it only seems to be the extension kit when I check in the app on the occasions I've noticed it is broken.

I've tried moving the bridge progressively closer. It is now in the a room below the boiler, probably 5 or so metres away. I can't realistically get it any closer. It is now misbehaving for shorter periods but more frequently.

My main concern with this is that every time it loses connection it turns the boiler up to 11 and the houses heats up dramatically. Not too much of a problem in the current climate, but in summer I really don't want this. I'd much rather it switched off the boiler upon connection loss - and given that it only appears to fail in the middle of the night I'd likely not know any more about it.

Does anybody know (a) what might be causing this (I'm assuming it is the connection between the Extension Kit and the Bridge as it is the Extension Kit which shows as Disconnected in the app when I look, but maybe it's a connection to the Internet? Bit odd that it always seems to happen overnight), and (b) if there is a way to make the Extension Kit fail to "off" mode. It is connected via EMS, not relay.

This is from this morning. You can see it has been heating but the Tado app doesn't think it has:

Answers

• oli
    Options

Same problem here, happens randomly. Now two days in a sequence.

• chrisy
    Options

This has happened twice since I first posted - on the 11th and last night.

The 11th gave me wobbly heating/cooling cycle similar to the earlier graph. The outside temperature showing on that graph was also 1 degree. hmm... coincidence?

Last night the outside temperature was -1, and the boiler was on all night from 23.30 until (as far as I can tell from the graph) 10.30, when it hit nearly 24C.

All other days the temperature has been well above 1C, and the Tado hasn't randomly fired up the boiler overnight.

The Extension Kit and boiler is in the loft, so the ambient temperature there is well below the rest of the house. I thought it might be frost protection, but that would surely show on the graph as heating? Last night when the heating randomly started up it wasn't showing as disconnected, unlike previously when I've noticed. It may be that the app hadn't registered it as disconnected at that point.

I'm very suspicious that this is only happening when the outside temperature is around freezing point, as that points to something intentional rather than a connection problem. (on the plus side it probably means it isn't going to cook me in the summer!)