Timed vs Constant Heating

My system is set to heat rooms between 07:00-23:00. Overnight, outside these times, I have set a default temperature of 17DGC below which the heating comes on. This quite often means the heating is switching on and off intermittently throughout the night resulting in a number of temperature overshoots as well as the boiler operating at maximum from 07:00 as individual rooms reach their set temperatures. This again leads to overshoots as the whole house heats-up which then takes time before the system eventually reaches an equilibrium - usually around late morning/lunchtime. 

My question therefore is would it be better (from a temperature and cost point of view) to just keep the heating running at the daytime temperatures to avoid overshoots and the intense burn needed when initially coming on at 07:00?

Comments

• Hi @Madmacs,
    It almost sounds like your trying to describe a "non smart" CH system.....which seems to negate your Tado systems objective.
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

For new build properties - definitely keep the constant temperature and avoid spikes at the beginning. Cold air heats quicker, but having warm house will require less work from your boiler.

You should feel comfortable at home, temperature variations are not healthy.

• Thanks Dav4276, I take your point about non-smart system but its akin to Geofencing which turns off the heating while you are out, the only difference being turning down the heating in rooms not used at night - I guess its getting the right balance.

Also thank you Rafm5, my house is about 25 years old so not sure whether this meets the criteria you suggested for new builds though I have cavity wall, latest spec loft insulation and triple glazing + thermally efficient front door. Unfortunately it wasn’t practical to install floor insulation but am aware there is a coolness coming from the floor area.

I will experiment with settings to see if I can work out which would be best, hard to do because to make a true comparison you need identical overnight temperatures. I am not sure quite how smart Tado is, for example, whether the system learns how the house heats and then applies that learning to optimise heating for each room using TRV feedback?