Heatline Capriz 24c Setup

Options

Bought a Tado Wired Smart Thermostat V3+ in the Black Friday sales and hooked up to my Heatline Capriz 24c yesterday. Initially I followed the instructions in the Tado manual connecting a cable between the eBUS connections in the Tado and boiler. Positive to positive, negative to negative. Tested the Tado and no luck, everything on the Tado side seems correct. Thermostat is connected to Wi-Fi and configured to D07 like in the manual. I have tried D05 too but also no luck.

Noticed in the installation instructions for my boiler that I needed to remove a link between 24V=RT this disconnected the thermostat on the boiler. I now have no heating (off, timer, on do nothing). I assumed this was a good thing and that boiler control would now be passed to the connected Tado. No such luck!

There must be a setting I’m missing somewhere. I can’t find it anywhere on the internet. Using the diagnostic code on my boiler I can ascertain that the boiler recognises that there is an eBUS controller connected.

Any help is much appreciated,

thanks

Answers

• In case anybody comes across this and needs the solution. I fixed it.

I had to put the link wire back between RT24V and then go to the diagnostic menu.

Hold mode for 7 seconds use access code 35 (assume this is generic) and press mode to confirm.

Go to code d.27 and change to 8. This is for eBUS remote control.

Go to code d.28 and change to 8. Again this is for eBUS remote control.

After that everything works.

Hope this helps somebody else. I couldn’t find anything on the internet and really didn’t want to pay a plumber £120 for 5min job.

• Funkicus
    Options
    Can you help me out with this?

I have the heatline capriz2 24c as well, and the instructions i found directed me to the X1 terminal and not the one in your photo, but X1 is the mains power supply!

They also mention connecting the grey cable to the RT terminal but doesn't look like you have here - which instructions did you use? I can't decipher the professionals instructions so am relying on the DIY ones.

Thanks
  • steph1949
    Options

I was able to wire my boiler thanks to this thread, thank you. I also noticed however that I am unable to control hot water from Tado, have you had any luck with this?

• GazzaH
    GazzaH
    edited April 2023
    Options

Funkicus, your boiler is very similar to the Vaillant ecofit pure combi range and the Glowworm Energy combi. They are all part of the Vaillant group now. I think they all have the same PCB.

I can't find the Capriz2 instructions online for installation, just the user ones. The 230V RT connection is at the left hand side of the PCB if I remember correctly, if using this you'd remove the 24V RT link at the right hand side.

They try to keep the 230V connections away from the lower voltage stuff, that's why the 230V connections are at the other side.

Or, you could switch it across the 24V low voltage connections instead (as 'dry' contacts - do not put 230V into these or you'll damage the boiler). The third method for the wired Tado is via ebus.

Ebus you leave the 24V low voltage RT link in and connect to the ebus connections, nothing in the X1 230V RT connection.

heatingnoob2000, well done for working it out. I'm a heating engineer myself and all the manufacturers have different settings and things you need to change, it can be a nightmare trying to deal with them all or get the correct info! You may need to set a limit for the heating temperature in parameter D071 or the ebus will go anything up to 80C. You can check in parameter D05 when the heating is on what temperature the ebus feels like asking for.

steph1949, if it's a combi then you shouldn't really have a need to control the HW from the Tado. I suppose you could set the preheat temperature or the hot water max temp but there would probably be no good reason to do this as it would over complicate things. When it was set up, the Tado was likely told that it was a combi boiler so there should be no hot water 'tile'/square on the app?

Just set your hot water maximum temp on the front of the boiler. With a combi you don't have the volume of stored hot water to be worried about legionnaires' disease so no need to set it at 60C. You could even put it 50C or 45C as your shower will just add cold to cool it down anyway after you've paid for gas to make it too hot in the first place!

• steph1949
    Options

Thank you for the response. I previously had a Gloworm MiSet controller installed using eBus and I could control DHW flow temp and had the ability to disable hot water.

I have the EU wireless receiver installed, and the option for hot water control is present in the app, but changing hot water control settings has no effect on DHW on the boiler (Heatline Capriz 2 24C). I also verified the configuration using the Tado professional app and flow temp is being reported but it states to set max flow temp directly through the boiler. When I try this the boiler shows "no" which indicated in the boilers manual to control this through the Tado controller. The eBus protocol has also been double checked with the boilers installed manual and d.07 (Vaillant e-Bus) is the correct configuration code for the boiler model.

I have attached some schematics from the Capriz 2 24C manual and the Tado system check portal.

Heatline Capriz 2 24C wiring diagram for eBUS control.

Tado Professional System Check

To summarise, I have the ability to control Hot water from the Tado app but commands are not changing anything on the boiler.